Let’s talk about indoor ranges.

Adam5

I miss going to an indoor range easily after work or for a quick visit to just run a mag or two for testing. I'm looking at a different range than I've been using.

I've been using range #4.

Here are the top options:

Range 1
4.5 miles about 15 minutes
16 lanes @25yds and 8 @25 meter
All lanes rifle rated
Full service store
Poor customer service
Tends to get hood rats
3 guest passes a year
Open until 9:00 during the week
$35 transfers
Very busy, having to wait is normal
$480 a year or $50 fee + $40 month

Range 2
4.5 miles about 15 minutes
10 lanes @15yds and 10 @25yds
All lanes rifle rated
No store
Very friendly staff
A few hood rats from time to time, but are normally shut down by staff
Guests welcome at any time with member
Open until 8:00 during the week
$20 transfers
Steady, but I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes
$425 per year

Range 3
22.5 miles about 25 minutes if no traffic, 35 with traffic
11 lanes @ 25yds (pistol or pistol calibers only) 2 lanes @ 25 yards rife rated
Full service store w/gunsmith
Friendly staff
A few hood rats from time to time
Gusts pay normally hourly range fee
Transfer fee unknown
Normally not too busy
$25 per month

Range 4
25 miles about 35 minutes can be more in traffic
24 lanes @ 25yds all rifle rated
Full service store w/gunsmith
Friendly staff
No hood rats/strict range officers
Guests pay normal hourly range rate
$25 transfers
Can get busy, esp when the city/county/IDPA/GSSF/classes etc are using an 8 lane bay.
$40 per month

Dub

Range 2 sounds like a winner to me. (y)

I will say...joining an indoor range that's close to the house is super. I find myself taking smaller range bags and less stuff. More frequent, but shorter sessions.

I like to open up with a carry gun in a fast drill.

Then spend time breaking down how it went and working on the poorest performance aspects. On days when I'm happy with how the opener went....I'll try running it again....left handed. That usually leaves a pile of low hanging fruit to work on.

All that being said....I'm probably rusty as heck....been almost a month since I've pulled a trigger. Gonna have to break out the training wheels again. :rofl:

Gator89

If you reload, having a place nearby to test a handful of new bullet / powder combinations is very handy.nearby

When I resided in the ATL, Norcross Gun Club & Range was only a couple of miles from the house, and I would stop in and fire 6, 12 or shatever as needed.

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

It would be hard to help you with your choice without knowing how important each criteria is to you.
Obviously the closer the better, but that carries more weight to some than to others.
Will rifles @ 25 yards be a benefit to you?. Are gunsmith services and transfers a regularly used feature?. Same with guests. Do you go until closing time?
While the hoodsters can be annoying, I notice that they aren’t reloaders and usually leave a lot of once fired brass available for the picking. And along those lines, I’ve seen indoor ranges that wouldn’t allow you to pick up brass, including your own.
Think of how you will use the range and the answer will probably become clear.

Adam5

Here are the ranges.
1 Stoddards Atlantic Station
2 Quickshot Atlanta (Zonolite Rd not Buford Hwy)
3 GA Firing Line
4 Sharpshooters USA

At one time I was member of Stoddards, but they screwed me when I broke my arm and could shoot for four months. They’re customer service can be anywhere from indifferent to atrocious.

I was a member of Quickshot for a year and was always greeted with a smile. They didn’t care if I picked up my brass and a little extra when I started reloading. Always friendly and never more than a 5 minute wait. The proximity to home was great to run a mag or three after work. I left because I thought I wanted somewhere with a full store and Gunsmith.

I’ve been a member at Sharpshooters for a year. The range is nice, people always smiling and providing great service. Store prices are a little high, but a 10% member discount helps to offset it. That biggest issue is the drive from Midtown Atlanta to Roswell and back to shoot. After work I want to run a couple of mags, but don’t want to deal the downtown connector and GA400 for 35-45 minutes each way to shoot for less than an hour.

I like GA Firingline several times, as well having bought several guns there. I like the store and people. I don’t always like that that I have to use separate lanes for pistol and rifle. My biggest issue is the distance if I want to shoot after work. It’s as bad going to Sharpshooters in traffic, but it isn’t exactly around the corner. I will still shoot here from time to time as I spend most Saturdays in that area to reload at a friend’s.

Breaking it all down, going back to Quickshot seems the logical choice. The closeness is nice. After breaking my right arm twice in two years more shorter range sessions are better for me than fewer long ones. It’s hard to beat the convenience of being able to run in for a mag or two, especially when testing a load or function testing a new acquisition.

I’ll be using GA Firingline for purchases, gunsmithing when needed, and shooting from time time when in the area.

Steven037

I’m a member at GA firing line. I like the convenience of it. Maybe 5 minutes from the house. Governors is just a little bit further and offers 100 yard indoor but I’ve never shot there. Neighbor is a member there and likes it.

Darkhorse

I would identify how I keep breaking my arm.
Then I would quit doing that.

transfixer

I have very limited experience with indoor ranges, and while I've only been to two or three different ones, don't care for them, the ones I've been to haven't had a lane longer than 25yds, which for me is useless for rifles, even my AR pistols, and I've not been to one yet that will let you pick up your brass, even if you bring your own ammo, I don't like that at all ! I've either already paid for it by reloading it, or bought it , sometimes at the range, and you're going to tell me I can't pick it up after I shoot it ? nah, that don't fly with me.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I've used Stoddards at the Douglasville location, not as a member though. The range is nice. The range master was helpful and knowledgeable. The folks in the store, not so much. Got some really bad advice from them, but they've always been friendly though. If you don't need much help and just want to shoot. It ain't to bad. There is also a outdoor range not to far from my home. I don't care for it to much either. It doesn't have much of a range master at all and a couple of times there were people there who had the gun handling skills of a 2 year old. I just left. When I go to the range I actually prefer the outdoor range at west point wma even though it is a bit of a drive for me. For me what I look for is feeling comfortable and safe. That peace of mind is worth the extra drive and hassle to me. I will also add that knowing you have been burned by a company will always leave a bad taste in your mouth. So take that into consideration.

Adam5

I would identify how I keep breaking my arm.
Then I would quit doing that.

I’ve tried to not be clumsy….

The first time I was being stupid and tried to ride one of the ‘Bird’ scooters that everyone likes to hate. After one block I hit a pothole and flipped over the handlebar. I ended up having a titanium plate put in my upper arm by the shoulder to put it back together.

The second time was my doctor’s fault. He told to walk three miles at least three days a week. My girlfriend and I went for a morning walk a day later, and clumsy me tripped on a curb and came down with my arm hitting it. I now have a titanium plate in my lower arm at the elbow.

bullgator

I’ve tried to not be clumsy….

The first time I was being stupid and tried to ride one of the ‘Bird’ scooters that everyone likes to hate. After one block I hit a pothole and flipped over the handlebar. I ended up having a titanium plate put in my upper arm by the shoulder to put it back together.

The second time was my doctor’s fault. He told to walk three miles at least three days a week. My girlfriend and I went for a morning walk a day later, and clumsy me tripped on a curb and came down with my arm hitting it. I now have a titanium plate in my lower arm at the elbow.
Get to the airport early.

ucfireman

The one up by me said 10 to shoot, as long as you want. 50ft handgun.
35 gun transfer and can do 3 for that price (one form).

Big7

The Oracle
I tried a couple.

Even when they are not real busy, I don't like shooting indoors. Even with plugs and muffs together, it's to loud for me.

I might have to get used to it though.