Let's play a game

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Old salts will know most of this, but it may help help a newcomer.
Post a fishing term or technique and see who can explain it.
I'll start with a relatively easy one:

Knocker Rig

Seanote

Funny. Knocker rig is what I was going to say. I use it almost exclusively when bottom fishing.

This one goes way back. Dead Reckoning. Hint: This is how we used to find our fishing spots.

notnksnemor

Funny. Knocker rig is what I was going to say. I use it almost exclusively when bottom fishing.

This one goes way back. Dead Reckoning. Hint: This is how we used to find our fishing spots.

You're supposed to describe a knocker rig for those that don't know what it is.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Ranging.
Easy way to find your inshore/nearshore spots before GPS.

notnksnemor

OK
Knocker rig.

Consists of a long leader, or no leader, where an egg sinker slides down to the hook eye.
Used mainly for bottom fishing live or cut bait.
The sinker sits on the bottom and line is let out so the bait swims/drifts down current a distance.

kingfish

Is that a skiff where the live well is in the middle of the boat and the holes are drilled so the well fills up but doesn't over flow and sink the boat ?

How about jigger pole fishing ?

notnksnemor

I've been monitoring this thread.
A lot of views by visitors and they can't post.
Guys, join up and participate.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Is that a skiff where the live well is in the middle of the boat and the holes are drilled so the well fills up but doesn't over flow and sink the boat ?

No, it`s a boat where the motor sits in a "well" about 4 feet from the front of the boat. Operator sits in front of it to drive. The rest of the boat is the work station with a big fish box, then a platform to hold the 800 or so yards of gill net.

You don`t see the old mullet skiffs out there anymore.

skiff6.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Last edited:

Blackston

Stuffing box ..... boats had a “ packing gland “to seal where shaft comes through hull , Lots of boats still have em but mechanical seals are more common

slow motion

The use of a known point, speed, heading, time, and drift to get to a desired point...

Dacron Backing.
Line used under fly line. In case fish pulls a lot of line as fly line itself typically isn't very long. 100 ft. or so

slow motion

We got LORAN
on the table.....

Anybody?
I sorta knew but having never actually owned one I did a search on it. I know it's cheating but it was very informative. Since I cheated do I still answer? Oh and I cheated on "jigger pole" also.

notnksnemor

I sorta knew but having never actually owned one I did a search on it. I know it's cheating but it was very informative. Since I cheated do I still answer? Oh and I cheated on "jigger pole" also.

This isn't confessional.... :rofl::rofl::rofl: