Let's play a game

HOBO

LORAN,,,, LONG RANGE AID TO NAVIGATION was the predecessor to GPS... The first version was called LORAN A then an improved version came out called LORAN C.. I had both (I'm 77 years old) These things in the beginning were about the size of a huge suitcase or trunk... The size finally worked it self to about the size of a shoe box.... LORAN utilized two or more land based radio sigmal transmitters to determine a location by measuring their intersecting signals...

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Alright,
We got Sabiki Rig and Finesse on the board.

GTMODawg

BANNED
You don't hear many people heading to the hill or leaving the hill these days but the hill used to be almost universal. The hill still exists thank heaven but not many people call the hill the hill these days....

GTMODawg

BANNED
Triangulation and radio navigating....still works well and is absolutely fool proof as long as the battery ain't dead. Works within 100 miles or so of the hill with the right radio ($20) and will work at far greater distances with more sophisticated equipment. Radio not necessary if visual aids are present.

I knew an old boy years ago who was a guide on West Point. We weren't friends as he was a jerk and everyone knew it. Well known guide on the point though....very well known. He constantly complained about folks sneaking GPS units on his boat when they first became prevalent and many guides still charge extra if you want to to bring one along. I promised him I could find any spot on the lake he took me to again by triangulation and an old fashioned flasher. He doubted this until I proved it beyond any doubt. New electronics are great and have simplified some of the things they do but they have also made some more difficult in my opinion

Geffellz18

Sculling.

Don’t know the exact definition, but I’ll give it a shot.
The art of using an oar attached to the boat, usually the rear, to navigate waters.
My grandpa used to skull us into the natural lakes off of the yellow river(FL) to catch warmouth/goggle eyes.
Some of my fondest memories on the water.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Don’t know the exact definition, but I’ll give it a shot.
The art of using an oar attached to the boat, usually the rear, to navigate waters.
My grandpa used to skull us into the natural lakes off of the yellow river(FL) to catch warmouth/goggle eyes.
Some of my fondest memories on the water.

technically sculling is propelling a boat through the water with 2 oars attached to the boat. It can be one done by one person or multiple people. This is what most normal folks would call rowing a dang boat LOL. Or paddling...although I guess paddling would be using one oar on both sides of a boat to propel it forward.

Sculling used properly (not technically) is the art of propelling a boat in any direction desired with one oar and never lifting that oar from the water....it was the predecessor to a trolling motor as it allows a fisherman or a hunter to approach a likely spot on the water with almost no noise.....to the point that sculling skiffs with mounted guns could be sculled into a raft of sleeping and loafing ducks and fired and the ducks would never know a boat was approaching. Once perfected sculling is far more efficient than rowing and is almost dead silent....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Got this shot of an old man in the last couple of miles stretch of the Hooch. He was after a mess of bream. His paddle never left the water.

sculling.JPG

Rabun

LORAN,,,, LONG RANGE AID TO NAVIGATION was the predecessor to GPS... The first version was called LORAN A then an improved version came out called LORAN C.. I had both (I'm 77 years old) These things in the beginning were about the size of a huge suitcase or trunk... The size finally worked it self to about the size of a shoe box.... LORAN utilized two or more land based radio sigmal transmitters to determine a location by measuring thier intersecting signals...

Bingo! Never owned one but recall charter captains explaining it to me when I was a youngster. Triangulation of amplitude modulation...AM...radio waves. Like GPS, the more satellites (radio signals) your connected to, the more accurate the positioning.

How about a dory...

Geffellz18

Got this shot of an old man in the last couple of miles stretch of the Hooch. He was after a mess of bream. His paddle never left the water.

View attachment 1101470

Put me in the front of that boat at about 11-13 yrs old and that was me and Grandpa in his old Kennedy Craft. He did have a small motor on the back though to get us up River to the lakes though!
Definitely an art to sculling for sure.

slow motion

technically sculling is propelling a boat through the water with 2 oars attached to the boat. It can be one done by one person or multiple people. This is what most normal folks would call rowing a dang boat LOL. Or paddling...although I guess paddling would be using one oar on both sides of a boat to propel it forward.

Sculling used properly (not technically) is the art of propelling a boat in any direction desired with one oar and never lifting that oar from the water....it was the predecessor to a trolling motor as it allows a fisherman or a hunter to approach a likely spot on the water with almost no noise.....to the point that sculling skiffs with mounted guns could be sculled into a raft of sleeping and loafing ducks and fired and the ducks would never know a boat was approaching. Once perfected sculling is far more efficient than rowing and is almost dead silent....
They tried to teach me in Scouts. Never could get the hang of it.

kingfish

Sculling falls right into line with jigger pole fishing. Used to watch my Grandpa sit in the front of an old jon boat and scull (he called it scuttling) the boat parallel with the shore line. He sculled with his right hand and had a big long cane pole (the jigger pole) in his left hand. He used a broken back Jitterbug, a Weedwing with Uncle Josh's pork rind or a Mepp's Spinner as bait. He'd "cast" the bait right on the grass with his left hand kind of behind him, then basically troll it right on the grass then away from it. The explosions on the baits were unreal. Tons of big mudfish and quite a few good bass and every so often, a trophy speckled pearch. That was a long time ago on Crescent Lake. Awesome memories.