Lets see your TRUE colors!

Tom Borck

Banned
You have just sat down in your stand on opening morning, the sun is coming up, the birds are chirpping and the deer are starting to move. About 30 minutes into your hunt you see a buck! A small 4 point that is clearly and obviously injured from a car. He is limpning your way and walks within 50 yards of your stand. You can see some plastic and glass embedded in his hip and he is barely making it along. You are 100% certain the deer will not make it more than a month! He will surely die a slow and excruciating death! Do you shoot the buck and burn a tag?

Same question but in a QDM county? Obviously the risk is much higher in QDM counties.

So, do you shoot?

Arrow Flinger

Yes. I shot a spike one time after it had been badly wounded across the property line. It could hardly walk.

Thunder

If I was SURE that he would not make it, I would shoot him. I have too much respect to let him suffer till death.

Randy

Not me. First off I am not sure how good the meat would be if bruised up by a car. Second. That's natrue. We have plenty of coyotes that need to eat. Nature has it's own way of taking care of itself. Besides I have seen deer with severe injuries that they survived.

huntfish

:shoot: I don't believe that the animal should suffer. After the shot, I would call the game warden to explain the situation. Might get a free tag.

JBowers

Tom Borck said:
You have just sat down in your stand on opening morning, the sun is coming up, the birds are chirpping and the deer are starting to move. About 30 minutes into your hunt you see a buck! A small 4 point that is clearly and obviously injured from a car. He is limpning your way and walks within 50 yards of your stand. You can see some plastic and glass embedded in his hip and he is barely making it along. You are 100% certain the deer will not make it more than a month! He will surely die a slow and excruciating death! Do you shoot the buck and burn a tag?

Same question but in a QDM county? Obviously the risk is much higher in QDM counties.

So, do you shoot?
Yes and Yes. The law can't cover all situations, but ethics can. That is why the world is gray.

GeauxLSU

Absolutely.

That would be a dead and no longer suffering deer. Wouldn't matter what kind of animal it was, or where I was hunting, in that condition, I'm putting it down without a second thought. As a matter of fact, if I happened to be scouting or working my property out of season and saw ANY animal suffereing like that, it would be dead (always have a pistol on my hip). In the unlikely event I got charged with some violation, I'd simply explain the situation to a judge and happily pay the fine if he deemed appropriate. There's no monetary value to a clear conscience.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Tom Borck

Banned
JBowers said:
Yes and Yes. The law can't cover all situations, but ethics can. That is why the world is gray.

I agree with you JB, I would do the same during deer season or not!

I would think that most ethical hutners would do the same, I would feel compelled to put a suffering deer out of misery!

As LSU said, during deer season or not!!!

L

Lucky Chandler

Good question

I'm with you completely Tom, if I have to burn a tag, I do. If the same thing happens in April, I just have to take my chances although I'd probably be real stupid (no comments, please, Phil :bounce: ) and call the local ranger and tell him what I did.

GeauxLSU

Lucky Chandler said:
I'm with you completely Tom, if I have to burn a tag, I do. If the same thing happens in April, I just have to take my chances although I'd probably be real stupid (no comments, please, Phil :bounce: ) and call the local ranger and tell him what I did.
If I'm ever in that situation and it goes south, I think I know a good attorney to call.... :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

H

HT2

T B.....

First of all......

How in the world do you come up with these senario's????? ::huh:

Would I shoot?????

"YES".......

Would I burn a tag?????

"NO".......

I'd shoot and then take it to a "DNR" official and do my best to pursuade him/her that it was injured (which should be fairly obvious from "TB's" discription), and I shouldn't have to burn a tag.....

Cheri

Randy said:
That's natrue. We have plenty of coyotes that need to eat. Nature has it's own way of taking care of itself.

I have no problem with letting nature take it's course ..
But, Mother Nature isn't the one who put a highway there ...

Tom Borck

Banned
Randy said:
Not me. First off I am not sure how good the meat would be if bruised up by a car. Second. That's natrue. We have plenty of coyotes that need to eat. Nature has it's own way of taking care of itself. Besides I have seen deer with severe injuries that they survived.

Why not put it out of its misery and let the coyotes eat it? Why let it suffer? If anything else you can kill it and leave.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Cheri,

I disagree. We are as much a part of nature as the squirrels. The only difference is they build nests from pine staw, twigs and leaves and we build lots of different stuff from concrete, steel and plastic.

It's all natural.

That said, my Daddy taught me to never let an animal suffer. I've dispatched several deer on the roadside that had been injured by vehicles. I see no difference between doing on the right of way or deeper in the woods.

GA DAWG

I'm not going to let it suffer.I'd say it would be a mercy killing.QDM or not if hes in bad enough shape I'll finish him off!

UGA hunter

Yes, I would shoot the animal. No animal deserves to suffer! For those who say they wouldn't, if you shoot an animal and go to retrieve it and it is still alive, do you let it lay there and suffer or do you finish it? I would hope that you put the animal out of its misery! Just my 2 cents!

nchunter

YES,no animal should have to suffer like that

this said would you shoot a small buck if it appears to have been starved,pretty much nothing but skin and bones?

matthewsman

I'd kill it

I've killed four at night that were hit by cars and were dying/hurt badly,on the side of the road.One time I almost got gored by a 11/2 yr old 6 pointer that wasn't as bad off as he first seemed to be.When they're eye to eye to you ,it's hard to refer to them as a little ole six pointer.