Letter about buying my land

sghoghunter

Back last summer I received a letter in the mail about a company in Tennessee wanting to buy a certain 5.34ac tract of land I own for $9,145.75. I stuck it in the corner of a shelf and thought no more of it till today when I received another one. This one is from a different State and company wanting to buy the same tract for $14,428.12. How would y’all handle this or would ya ignore it like I did last time?

sghoghunter

What’s so crazy is there’s a 3/4ac L shaped tract thats in between mine and the neighbors that went up on an auction a couple months ago and we talked about buying it and splitting it. Long story short that 3/4 ac sold for $14,500 plus 10% buyers fee and now it’s got a for sale sign for $25,000. In the picture the L shaped tract is what sold on the auction and the red marked is the 5.34ac and another 1/2 ac I have.

Attachments

• 095E04F7-B334-49C8-834A-7231D00A97FA.jpeg
    095E04F7-B334-49C8-834A-7231D00A97FA.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 73

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I get them routinely. They always offer cash at less than half what the property is worth and leave themselves wiggle room to get out if they missed their guess but leave you none at all if you sign the paper.

They are looking for a situation where an heir has a piece of property and no knowledge of what it is worth. The dollars sound big. Back in the day this sort of buyer took advantage of widows and orphans who needed to sell a farm they could not work. They sometimes even went so far as to offer a high dollar price per acre. The scoundrals knew that the acreage shown on deeds back in the day was the tillable acreage and that the actual acreage was much greater.

Crooks still be trying to crook unsuspecting folks.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Typically it just initiates a foot in the door for them. My cousin fell for a letter offering more than what he thought the tract was worth. After the representative of the letter sender met with him the truth comes out. They’ll have it appraised, they only want the land. Removal of any structures is considered cost that is deductible or you can take the structure down.

As others have said, I’d trash the letter. If you’re wanting to sell I’d deal with local agents to move it for you.

I usually get them from a company in California.

earlthegoat2

I bought a tract of 30 that had recently been subdivided from from 95 acres.

We started getting letters soon after purchase for a hair over our buying price. Not worth it of course.

Well, several of these later I read a little closer since they can be pretty vague and realized they were offering that amount of money for the 95 acres. Haha.

I guess tax assessor hadn’t updated quick enough.

It is a deceitful marketing strategy to rip people off. They send out 1000 letters and if they land one they make a huge profit.

Think of how many little old ladies have that 40 acre chunk of land that they have no idea what it is worth and they see an offer for $60,000 come in the mail.....husbands dead and gone she doesn't know what he paid or what its worth...

I believe the people who send these letters are the bottom of the barrel dirt-bags that prey on the weak-minded.

Mike 65

It is a deceitful marketing strategy to rip people off. They send out 1000 letters and if they land one they make a huge profit.

Think of how many little old ladies have that 40 acre chunk of land that they have no idea what it is worth and they see an offer for $60,000 come in the mail.....husbands dead and gone she doesn't know what he paid or what its worth...

I believe the people who send these letters are the bottom of the barrel dirt-bags that prey on the weak-minded.
This!
I would hope everyone on here who has elderly family or friends who may be vulnerable in these situations would keep them informed. I do!

transfixer

I get letters like that also,,, and phone calls wanting to buy my property,,, these are almost always shady real estate people or investors looking to buy something from someone who might need money,, I usually let the calls go to voice mail, and then delete them,,, one of these days I'm going to answer the call and give them a piece of my mind,, lol

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
We get letters and calls wanting to buy my lot next door. I just ignore it.

ucfireman

I got one today from a company in NC. The offer was actually about 3k more than I paid about 12 years ago. And a fair deal for the area. But not looking to sell it unless I make a good profit.

snuffy

Letters, email, phone calls and text!

I can understand how they got my address but don't know how they got the other
Contact info.