Leupold Questions

ribber

Should I get the Leupold Freedom 4-12-40 (or 50mm) or the VX3HD 3.5x10-40 (or 50mm)? It's not really the extra money that has me backing off the VX3, it's the CDL sticking out the side. I don't really understand what it does. I just want a clear scope for my aging eyes with a simple reticle. It's going on Savage .308 short action with EGW rail and medium rings and it appears (I haven't measured) that a 50mm would fit, but I've never looked through a 50mm so not sure if it's worth it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I like the VX Freedoms, and simple reticles. The 40mm will serve you just fine.

It is in fact getting difficult to find a nice, plain Jane hunting scope.

Nowadays, it's just not cool if it don't have knobs sticking out all over it, and a reticle that looks like the head up display in an F16.

Even if 90% of users have no clue what they have, or how to use it.

:LOL:

lampern

Nowadays, it's just not cool if it don't have knobs sticking out all over it, and a reticle that looks like the head up display in an F16.

Spot on. Well said.

ribber

Spot on. They all have so many features as you move up in price. And a lot of the reticles are just too noisy for me. Had thought about trying a Burris but just can't get past their reticles with all the hash marks. I'd bet 99% of people aren't a good enough marksman in the field to utilize those anyway. I could see where they could be useful in target/long range shooting from a bench though, but not for the average Georgia deer hunter sitting in a ladder stand.

rmp

I recently bought a VX3HD 3.5-10x40mm of the 30mm tube variety. Not sure about a CDS or CDL dial sticking out the side. Mine doesn’t.
I bought this new in the plastic-wrapped box, sight unseen on the recommendation of an acquaintance. It has fisheye effect at 3.5x but is gone by 6x. Not my smartest purchase. I’d advise spending time behind each if it’s possible.

ribber

Capture.PNG
This is what I was talking about. Not sure what it does. I guess I was asking if the VX3 price difference was for better glass than the Freedom or is it mainly for the additional feature?

rmp

Throw knob to change magnification. It can be removed and a filler screw installed. It’s in the box with an Allen wrench if I remember correctly.

I’ve never used a Freedom model so can’t be of any help. Good luck with your decision.

Darkhorse

If I'm not mistaken the dial that sticks out of the left side is your side focus adjustment knob. The CDS will be on top to adjust for bullet drop. It is incorporated with your Z axis travel so under the cap you will see 2 dials, one for up and down adjustment and the other for bullet drop.
I vote for the Leupold any day of the week.

Reactions: Dub

ribber

Throw knob to change magnification. It can be removed and a filler screw installed. It’s in the box with an Allen wrench if I remember correctly.

I’ve never used a Freedom model so can’t be of any help. Good luck with your decision.
Ahh ok thanks. I'm an idiot. I thought it had something to do with the zero lock. Should have looked a little closer. FWIW I haven't seen this scope in person, just looking online.

rmp

:LOL: Nah, even your basic optics have gotten way complicated. Although, companies make what sells.
I thought the knob was a bit obnoxious when I unboxed it but plan to try it because I often wear gloves. Even though I lean more to the fixed powers most of the time.

JeffinPTC

I like the the scopes with AO, adjustable objective, or side focus, usually when you see a knob on the left side. It focuses the scope as you change power. And I added a throw lever to help with power change on cold mornings and with gloves on. The leupold throw levers are stupid expensive, but no names are about $20.

WHAT IS AN ADJUSTABLE OBJECTIVE (AO)?​

Some Leupold riflescopes have an adjustable ring around the objective bell of the scope. This is used primarily by close and long-range shooters to bring very near or distant targets into the same focal plane as their reticle to eliminate parallax and provide the best possible focus on the target.

I only see one Freedom wih side focus:

Side focus gets more avail as you go up in price:

bullgator

View attachment 1199295
This is what I was talking about. Not sure what it does. I guess I was asking if the VX3 price difference was for better glass than the Freedom or is it mainly for the additional feature?
That just helps with leverage when adjusting magnification. They can be very stiff.

BriarPatch99

The 40 mm objectives with good glass are all most shooters need ...

I have a Freedom 3 x 9 x 40 and it is a good around scope for the $$$...

The VX3HD 3.5x10-40 would be an ideal scope ...for the extra $$ it is a step up in glass ...

My older VXIII has been a great scope ... the VX3HD is a step up from it also....

My opinion 50 mm scopes provides little gain over a good glass 40mm and not worth the extra height rings and height above the bore ...

GregoryB.

I have probably 10 of the VX Freedom scopes from 2x7 to 4x12. I like them because of the simple reticle. They do everything I need as a deer hunter. I really like the hunt plex. I have several other scopes in the Leupold line up and the VX is what I buy most of the time.

ribber

The 40 mm objectives with good glass are all most shooters need ...

I have a Freedom 3 x 9 x 40 and it is a good around scope for the $$$...

The VX3HD 3.5x10-40 would be an ideal scope ...for the extra $$ it is a step up in glass ...

My older VXIII has been a great scope ... the VX3HD is a step up from it also....

My opinion 50 mm scopes provides little gain over a good glass 40mm and not worth the extra height rings and height above the bore ...
I'm undecided about the 50 mm having never had one. But I've heard many say over the years they are brighter. The rifle its going on was a package deal with a Vortex CFII 3-9x40 and it's mounted a little too high IMO, so I don't think I would have to change to high rings if I end up going with a 50 mm.
Both rings and one of the screws on the rail were loose when I got the rifle (so much for factory boresighted) and I'm not a Vortex fan. So, I'm going to a Leupold while I have the rings off. 20221226_190302.jpg

BriarPatch99

My opinion ...those rings are too high... way too high ....You got what looks to be 1/2" between the objective and the barrel ....the idea is to have the center line of the scope as close to the center line of the bore of the rifle ...

With the 40 mm and good glass ...it will provide all the light needed for legal hunting time ....

Now if you want a "giant big old scope hanging a foot and a half off the barrel" ....it is up to you ...you the one got tote it around grabbing every limb and snag around ...
Like I said my opinion...