Leupold Questions

catch22

That's kinda where I started. I was going to remove the rail and go with something lower. Then got to thinking about the 50 mm. But it sounds like the 50 mm isn't going to help me much.
Also, it seems there's not a ton of options for one-piece mounts like the Talley. Seems they would be more secure than a screwed on base/rail with a ring screwed onto it but I'm not an expert on it by any means.
if this hasnt been stated yet.....go with a one piece base (leupold) and quality rings (leupold).....you can have best scope money can buy but the rings and base are just as important

Robert28

I usually always go with Leupold but I haven’t been able to find a good deal on their scopes in awhile. That made me look at other brands and honestly right now the best deal going is the Meopta Optika 5. I bought a 3-15-44 for $360 otd recently. I looked at the VX freedom 4-12-40 but it was only $20 cheaper than the Meopta.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

you are obviously much more well versed in this arena than me....but I have used nothing but 50s on my scopes for 25years. Leupold VX2 3x9x50. Ive hunted every which way you can hunt and out of all stand types. Ive never had any issue with high rings or "dragging a huge scope around".

Im not trying to say that a 40 is worse or that a 50 is better, but you make it seem like its an elephant on top of the gun......its only slightly larger than the 40 and has given me zero issues in all my hunting time.

I qualified my statement as opinion ...

You obviously have yours mounted better than many rifles I see ... many I see have that 1/2" gap like that in the above photo has ... that gap is a brush grabber ...

Mounted as low as possible without touching the barrel would keep the grabbing to a minimum even with the 50 mm ...

I have yet to see a 50mm mounted on a light weight hunting rifle that is as "slick" looking as a properly mounted 40mm ... and yes some look out of place just like a elephant would ...

I glad you get the usefulness out your rifles ....

Like I said my opinion...

bullgator

Light transmission is more affected by tube diameter that objective lens size. A 30mm tube with 42mm lens will be better than a 1” tube with 50mm lens. Add to that the amount, type, and quality of lens coating and some smaller scopes turn out to be heavy hitters.

BriarPatch99

Light transmission is more affected by tube diameter that objective lens size. A 30mm tube with 42mm lens will be better than a 1” tube with 50mm lens. Add to that the amount, type, and quality of lens coating and some smaller scopes turn out to be heavy hitters.

The most beneficial part of the 30mm & + tubes is larger adjustment range .... internal adjustments... Windage and elevation ...

The ability to have larger internal lens also cut down on the edge effect every lens suffers from ... since the image can be farther from "edges" more towards the center of the lens ....there will be less distortion added ... edges also add reflective and refractive effects to the image ... any time those are lower the image will be clearer... great lens have blackened edges ...

Lens coatings play a huge part in glass transmission quality ... the better coatings and the more internal lens coatings can help keep the % of transmission up... along with cutting down on reflection and refraction ...

This all come at a cost .... Good scopes ain't cheap ....but it is amazing at what is offered compared to 30 years ago...

FlipKing

That's kinda where I started. I was going to remove the rail and go with something lower. Then got to thinking about the 50 mm. But it sounds like the 50 mm isn't going to help me much.
Also, it seems there's not a ton of options for one-piece mounts like the Talley. Seems they would be more secure than a screwed on base/rail with a ring screwed onto it but I'm not an expert on it by any means.
Leupold back country mounts are my favorite. Only reason my waypoint doesn't have them is that I chose medium and the bolt doesn't clear the eye piece, so my VX5 is mounted on the rail instead.

Lilly001

It is interesting, to me, the diversity of opinions on scopes.
I have found myself in just about every camp at sometime during my life.
I used to be a Banner/Fullfield guy. Meaning no nonsense best bang for the buck, no frills.
Then I went through a phase of adjustable objective/ higher magnification. With a corresponding increase in $.
Now I’m back to basics with a lot more $ to throw that way.
My last scope purchase was a VX5 with the fire dot. And I’m in love with it.
Time was when 1k for a scope was unthinkable for me. And I never actually suffered in that phase.
But as I age I realize I can’t take it with me and , within reason, quality in my gear is a luxury I can afford more than any other time in my life.
YMMV :shoot:

FlipKing

I used to be a Banner/Fullfield guy. Meaning no nonsense best bang for the buck, no frills.
Then I went through a phase of adjustable objective/ higher magnification. With a corresponding increase in $.
Time was when 1k for a scope was unthinkable for me. And I never actually suffered in that phase.
But as I age I realize I can’t take it with me and , within reason, quality in my gear is a luxury I can afford more than any other time in my life.
I have 2 of them. And I really like them. Only reason I'm considering upgrading one rifle to a NF is durability. My VX5 was leaned against my ATV and fell. Not super far, just like being on a wall and sliding off. And it was off by 2" up and 2" left. I've read that won't happen with a NF.

rmp

As BP99 mentioned, exit pupil. Only if you’re using higher magnification in low light conditions does the objective diameter make substantial differences. Game activity often being low light times of day, it may or may not help depending on how much your pupils dilate. The scope can be easier to get behind, more forgiving, with a larger exit pupil.

IMO, Spend money on better glass for better light transmission and above all, reliability. The clearest, brightest of glass is meaningless when you can’t connect POI to your POA.

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
The problem is that 5mm is over the area of the barrel that is larger ...meaning higher mounts most of the time ...

Now if you are talking a "target" rifle it is no problem ... but dragging a huge scope around on a hunting rifle just does not make good sense... but that doesn't keep folks from buying the "telescopes" and mounting on a light weight hunting rifle ...

Good sense is about gone ... or so it seems...
My apologies for my writing skills...my statement was more to.. will a 50mm scope fit in my mounts. From the picture I saw with those rings it would be less than 1/4" closer to the barrel.

BriarPatch99

My apologies for my writing skills...my statement was more to.. will a 50mm scope fit in my mounts. From the picture I saw with those rings it would be less than 1/4" closer to the barrel.

I think I understand what you are saying .... and the extra 5mm is not much ...but in certain situations ... 5mm can be a bunch if it means going to higher mounts to clear the barrel ...with the above photo mounts ... you are right ...would take a bunch mm to be close to barrel ...

Maybe I misunderstood that the OP.has a hunting rifle ...where a closer fit to the barrel would be desired... not just to keep the grabbing down ...but also to keep the scope closer to the bore for a low profile handling rifle ...

Maybe I got the wrong idea that a hunting rifle should be as low profile as possible keeping functioning in mind ... in that note ...the 2.5 x8 x 36mm Leupold would be the perfect scope for many hunters .... at the top end the 4.5 x 14 x40 mm would be the most ...

Now if he is bench shooting... that is another story ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't think you did...he will still have plenty of grab space :D

I believe my SHV is 56mm in X low mounts...I had to scallop the scope cap so it didn't touch the barrel...if something gets hung in there...we will have trouble

Buckstop

One factor is scope mounting height, at least when going with a picatinny rail on a long action with the 50mm+ obj, is the clearance between the bell and forward end of the rail. If you use lower rings and mount the scope far enough forward to clear the rail, the eye box is too far forward for most shooters, unless the stock has a short length of pull. Have used leupolds 2 piece back country or talley lightweights instead of a rail in this case. Have 44’s 50’s and one 56mm. Honestly, the 44’s just seem to be a better weight and balance for most my hunting rifles.

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I got my first "Good" scopes 40 years ago when I bought 2 Leupold 3X9X40's from a catalog for about 50 bucks apiece. Never had a problem with either one and I hunted the west with a 7mag. My wife had hers on a .44 Ruger Carbine and we still have that one.

I only hunt with a 40mm objective lens. As others have said, it gets your eye closer to the centerline of the bore. Plus, my shooting form has been built around a 40mm objective and when I take a shot I have solid contact with the stock.

When I bought my 300 win mag. I put a VX3 3.5X40 Leupold on it. It is still on it and I have made some long shots both in the west and back here at home. If you hunt property with clearcuts or crops then the chance of a long shot is always present and I'm always ready.

Most of my Georgia hunting is now done with a Tikka .308 with a Zeiss 3X9X40 sitting on top. Now that’s a good bright scope for late evenings and early mornings.

I can see me having a use for side focus and a rangefinder and a scope with a long distance reticle. But I’m 70 years old now and my dad and granddad had me shooting a .22 before I could put the buttpad against my shoulder. It’s all in what your used to and what you like.
Just because it's on there doesn't mean you have to use it.

Dub

I had my M70 out last evening. It has a VX5 with FireDot mounted on it. Looking through the dark backyard and shadowy field behind the house was confidence inspiring that it'll help be able to discern small details when hunting.

Looking forward to hunting with it.

ribber

OP here, anyone have any opinions on the DNZ mounts? Think I'm going to try to go with a different mount than what I have now.

BriarPatch99

OP here, anyone have any opinions on the DNZ mounts? Think I'm going to try to go with a different mount than what I have now.

Other than them being as ugly as the sister's dog butt ... I think they are the "High Point" of mounts ...

Hard to beat the Leopold STD rings and two piece mount for unobstructed loading port access ...

Have those all my rifles except one...

Last edited:

Dub

rings

lonewolf247

Lots of opinions here, almost afraid to give mine. lol

I have owned, and currently own, scopes from 32mm, and up to 50mm. IMO, it depends on the rifle I'm putting the scope on, and it's purpose. I would not put a 50mm scope on a Marlin 30/30 lever action, but, on a rifle set up for longer range, I like magnification, along with good euro glass, and often, I find what I want in 50mm.

I say to each his own.