Leupold Questions

JeffinPTC

My opinion ...those rings are too high... way too high

BP,
I'm guessing you were not a fan of the see thru rings many of us had on our Rem 7400s in the 80s?
course, the longest shot I ever made was 221 yards across my Gay friend's friend in Gay's pond. and that was with my 1982 Bushnell Banner, not this internet pix.
Killed the buck though.

1672324592399.png

BriarPatch99

BP,
I'm guessing you were not a fan of the see thru rings many of us had on our Rem 7400s in the 80s?
course, the longest shot I ever made was 221 yards across my Gay friend's friend in Gay's pond. and that was with my 1982 Bushnell Banner, not this internet pix.
Killed the buck though.

View attachment 1199392

Absolutely hated those things !!!

specialk

My opinion 50 mm scopes provides little gain over a good glass 40mm and not worth the extra height rings and height above the bore ...

and we have bingo!.....the extra 10mm aint worth it for a normal deer rifle in GA.....louy came out with a 50mm to get it closer to the bbl. a few years back...almost tried one but i passed....funny looking thing......

.6d64dc04-9feb-4b94-a7e4-7972907f3134_1.b5cda336eabe80fec4c80fd5e2d63afc.jpeg

specialk

BP,
Killed the buck though.

View attachment 1199392

i grew up with those on my marlin 30.30.....when i got my first bolt gun i went with low mounts and never looked back.....

JeffinPTC

But it looks real cool! I have a VX-L on my 300 WinMag, which I rarely shoot over 50 yards now, since I left the 600 yard pasture in Gay.

BriarPatch99

Exist pupil ... it all comes down to the exist pupil size and normal human eyes ...
Most average adults can use only 4 to 5mm of exist pupil diameter light ...

If you don't have knowledge of this ...take your scoped rifle out into fairly bright light ...hold a sheet of white typing paper some where about the area you eye would be ....the dot of light is exist pupil diameter ....I mean you will have to move the paper back and too ...as to get the smallest dot area ... anything over 5mm is basically wasted as the human eye can only take about 4/5 mm into the eye ...

It doesn't matter if your super duper 90mm scope can put out 10 mm exit diameter... Your eyes can't use it ...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Exist pupil ... it all comes down to the exist pupil size and normal human eyes ...

If you don't have knowledge of this ...take your scoped rifle out into fairly bright light ...hold a sheet of white typing paper some where about the area you eye would be ....the dot of light is exist pupil diameter ....I mean you will have to move the paper back and too ...as to get the smallest dot area ... anything over 5mm is basically wasted as the human eye can only take about 4/5 mm into the eye ...

It doesn't matter if your super duper 90mm scope can put out 10 mm exit diameter... Your eyes can't use it ...

You done gone and done it now, BP...:bounce:

transfixer

BP,
Killed the buck though.

View attachment 1199392

Whoever designed and marketed those see thru mounts should have been whipped with a wet dish rag ,,, likely responsible for a lot of lost/wounded deer over the years back then.

And believe it or not I still see some in use today ! smh ?

BriarPatch99

You want brighter?

The answer is better glass, not bigger, period.

No scope gathers light, despite all hype to the contrary...

Yeah ....scopes transmit light ...not gather ...matter fact there is a loss of light as the best only transmit in the lower 90's % of the light entering the scope ...

It does concentrate that 90 something % light into the exist pupil dot ... which makes it appear brighter ....

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

That^^^^^^^Right^^^^^^^There

BriarPatch99

a 50mm scope is only 5mm closer to the barrel...the other 5mm is on top...that is 0.196850394...not even 1/4"

The problem is that 5mm is over the area of the barrel that is larger ...meaning higher mounts most of the time ...

Now if you are talking a "target" rifle it is no problem ... but dragging a huge scope around on a hunting rifle just does not make good sense... but that doesn't keep folks from buying the "telescopes" and mounting on a light weight hunting rifle ...

Good sense is about gone ... or so it seems...

catch22

The problem is that 5mm is over the area of the barrel that is larger ...meaning higher mounts most of the time ...

Now if you are talking a "target" rifle it is no problem ... but dragging a huge scope around on a hunting rifle just does not make good sense... but that doesn't keep folks from buying the "telescopes" and mounting on a light weight hunting rifle ...

you are obviously much more well versed in this arena than me....but I have used nothing but 50s on my scopes for 25years. Leupold VX2 3x9x50. Ive hunted every which way you can hunt and out of all stand types. Ive never had any issue with high rings or "dragging a huge scope around".

Im not trying to say that a 40 is worse or that a 50 is better, but you make it seem like its an elephant on top of the gun......its only slightly larger than the 40 and has given me zero issues in all my hunting time.

Reactions: Dub

FlipKing

Weight or size matter very little in 90% of GA hunting. The 7oz difference from 40 to 50mm won't matter much 200 yards from thr truck to the stand. This coming from someone who does try to put together lighter packages just for the sake of it.

I like the 42/44mm scopes as a good compromise. I usually prefer a lower power of 2.5 or 3 and a higher power of at least 15. Just what I like to hunt with. Lower rings are good, and you can get them lower by removing the rail and going direct mount as well. Just an option.

JonathanG2013

Good info. Briar, what power scope do you like using to hunt?

BriarPatch99

Good info. Briar, what power scope do you like using to hunt?

Main rifle is a Leupold VXIII 3.5 x 10 40 mm in Leopold mounts as low as possible .. I have maybe 1/8" gap between objective and barrel...

Scope is on 3.5 power most time when hunting ... I will dial up to 10 power if the deer is at longer range ... 300 yards is the longest possible shot on my lease ..

Also use a Freedom 3x9 x 40mm on a .243 ....works well for deer... glass is near the 3.5x10 but the adjustments are not as precise...

ribber

Weight or size matter very little in 90% of GA hunting. The 7oz difference from 40 to 50mm won't matter much 200 yards from thr truck to the stand. This coming from someone who does try to put together lighter packages just for the sake of it.

I like the 42/44mm scopes as a good compromise. I usually prefer a lower power of 2.5 or 3 and a higher power of at least 15. Just what I like to hunt with. Lower rings are good, and you can get them lower by removing the rail and going direct mount as well. Just an option.
That's kinda where I started. I was going to remove the rail and go with something lower. Then got to thinking about the 50 mm. But it sounds like the 50 mm isn't going to help me much.
Also, it seems there's not a ton of options for one-piece mounts like the Talley. Seems they would be more secure than a screwed on base/rail with a ring screwed onto it but I'm not an expert on it by any means.