Light for caliber barnes bullets

Dewayne w

Opinions on 95 gr ttsx in 270win, I am concerned with bulle/ performance. Pretty sure they will stay together but will I see the same shock effect as cupcake bullets

furtaker

I've only killed one deer with a TSX and it was an 85gr out of a 240 Weatherby at 3450fps. I wasn't impressed. Ran 100yds with a perfect shoulder shot and I found zero blood except for where he fell. I have a hunch that a Hornady Interlock would have left him laying on the spot.

They are excellent penetrators.

Robert28

Honestly that’s what I’d shoot out of a 243. I don’t like going below 130gr in 270.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'd bet the 95gr Ttsx will work.
I have shot quite a few deer with Barnes bullets and 99% are No tracking or very short recovery with Stevie Wonder blood trails.
Every now and then we all place a bullet perfectly, only the animal didn't read the script. They are dead but they don't know it and they go further than the last 20 hit in the same area. It happens. I trust the majority over one anomaly.

furtaker

I'd bet the 95gr Ttsx will work.
I have shot quite a few deer with Barnes bullets and 99% are No tracking or very short recovery with Stevie Wonder blood trails.
Every now and then we all place a bullet perfectly, only the animal didn't read the script. They are dead but they don't know it and they go further than the last 20 hit in the same area. It happens. I trust the majority over one anomaly.
I know one example doesn't mean much but I couldn't find a single drop of blood from that buck I shot. But 24 calibers usually don't leave a bunch of blood in my experience and I will say that his internal organs were destroyed.

I just have more faith in a good cup and core for deer hunting.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I know one example doesn't mean much but I couldn't find a single drop of blood from that buck I shot. But 24 calibers usually don't leave a bunch of blood in my experience and I will say that his internal organs were destroyed.

That is why there are so many bullets to choose from, we all have our favorites and confidence is a big part of success.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't know if I would say use a very light bullet
I think they just say to use a lighter one.

If I was shooting a .270 I might choose the 110gr TTSX over the 95gr TTSX. I would shoot a 130gr cup and core from a .270. If I used 110gr cup and core varmint bullets in a .270 I might choose the 95gr TTSX.

@furtaker did you get a pass through on the shot? I am not sure I would have chose that light of a bullet in your case but I would use it in a .243, in fact I have some to try...one day.

I tried pushing 130gr TSX close to 3150 and there is just no reason to tear up that much. There were bone fragments coming out of the entry hole on about a 75 yard shot.

@Dewayne w are you shooting coastal deer where you are or the larger variety?

furtaker

I don't know if I would say use a very light bullet
I think they just say to use a lighter one.

If I was shooting a .270 I might choose the 110gr TTSX over the 95gr TTSX. I would shoot a 130gr cup and core from a .270. If I used 110gr cup and core varmint bullets in a .270 I might choose the 95gr TTSX.

@furtaker did you get a pass through on the shot? I am not sure I would have chose that light of a bullet in your case but I would use it in a .243, in fact I have some to try...one day.

I tried pushing 130gr TSX close to 3150 and there is just no reason to tear up that much. There were bone fragments coming out of the entry hole on about a 75 yard shot.

@Dewayne w are you shooting coastal deer where you are or the larger variety?
Yes it was a pass through with a dime sized exit hole.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There are definitely two crowds of different opinions about TTSX and fast bullets.

Folks out west, my in-laws among them, use TTSX 110-130 to regularly take elk. If they can knock down elk you should have no problem with thin skinned white tails.

BriarPatch99

Been riding the hay cutter no cell service...

The 95 grain TTSX would work very well on deer size game... 3600 +fps is doable out a .270 Win ...

The bullet would normally expand fully and most likely shed the petals after much damage... the solid body section should exist...

The 110 grain TTSX also would be a good workable bullet... near 3500 fps is possible... and would be similar to the 95 TTSX .270 Win.

The 130 TTSX is getting heavy as far as "Barnes TTSX... really no need in Georgia... Out West for heavier game like Mule deer...elk .... Just too heavy for GA size deer...

Barnes TTSX NEED speed to work correctly....

Bullet length :
95 TTSX 1.032"
110 TTSX 1.168"
130 TTSX 1.332"

I am shooting 80 TTSX in .243 Win,
80 TTSX in the .25/06...

No reason the 95 TTSX in .270 would not be good

I have told about the 110 grain TTSX in the 300 WSM at 3800 fps ...deadly ...

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

I've only killed one deer with a TSX and it was an 85gr out of a 240 Weatherby at 3450fps. I wasn't impressed. Ran 100yds with a perfect shoulder shot and I found zero blood except for where he fell. I have a hunch that a Hornady Interlock would have left him laying on the spot.

They are excellent penetrators.
I am NOT a fan of the TSX Barnes ...add another "T" in front and you got a very good bullet ...

Folks for some reason can't get past the light bullet ordeal .... they think in terms of lead core bullet ... The TTSX are different ...much different... and you have think different... most "bad" stories about the TTSX are wrong choice of weight or bad shot... most ...

Jester896

Senior Clown
to add to @BriarPatch99 's post

Sierra 90gr HP Varminter is .851
Sierra 120gr Prohunter is .800
Sierra 130gr Gameking is 1.13

Hornady 100gr HP is 1.00
Hornady 130gr SST is 1.226
source JBM

there is more bullet there even though it is lighter

@furtaker you probably experienced what BriarPatch stated...the petals cam off before the exit. I know with the neck shot I made it had a half dollar entry and a fist diameter exit...and it hit bone.
I had a similar result as you with my 260 and 127gr LRX (they are tipped)...pencil in quarter out but the difference was DRT

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Thinking back, I don't remember a deer that I've shot with any bullet on a middle behind the shoulder crease double lung or double lung and heart drop in its place. They have gone a few steps to maybe 100yds most fall within 25 to 50 though unless the shot is high enough to include damage to the spine.
If I want them to not take a step I go high shoulder.
I have always found that deer have a strong will to live and if a bullet jellies the heart and lungs but they still go 100yds that isn't the bullets fault.

Last edited:

furtaker

I am NOT a fan of the TSX Barnes ...add another "T" in front and you got a very good bullet ...

Folks for some reason can't get past the light bullet ordeal .... they think in terms of lead core bullet ... The TTSX are different ...much different... and you have think different... most "bad" stories about the TTSX are wrong choice of weight or bad shot... most ...
The 80 TTSX would probably be a better choice in the 240.

I had to look for that deer longer than I've had to look for a dead deer in a very long time.

rmp

Interesting results from a TSX. I’ve used TSX’s and TTSX’s in several cartridges and witnessed results from others shooting them and yet to be disappointed.
The only one I’ve seen in the 85 grain TSX was with my brother out of a 6mm-284. Just a short death run and blood everywhere. Impressive actually.
Strange things can happen though. Got to use what gives you confidence.