Line Hunters and Jerks

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Yesterday I was down at the hunting camp for a work day.

Here's the scenerio. We have a road that goes the whole length of our property on the western boundary. We've named the road "The Longest Road in the World". It's a long road. Well, we didn't make this road, it was there when we picked the lease up last year. Well, 60yds of this road actually dips about 3ft over into the other property. I'm talking 3-4ft over from the painted boundary tree. We've never really paid much notice to it. We just drive down the road.

Yesterday a member of our club was riding down the road when he noticed it was plowed up, then this guy jumps out of the woods and is like "Can I help you?" The new landowner, a Florida fella, get's pretty nasty with my buddy. He tells him to get off and he's cabling that piece of the road off and we better stay away from his "new" food plot and deer stand. Sure enough the guy had plowed the road up and put a new ladder stand about 2ft over the property line on his side and on the 60yd stretch of road.

So Barrett comes back get's us and we go down there and take care of some business.

I don't know what this guy thought he was doing, but I know he never thought that 11 guys would show up with chainsaws, a brushmower, and machete's. I walked right up to the jerk and said, "We're cutting a new road on our side." The guy's mouth about dropped to the dirt. The look on him and his buddies face were priceless.

And that is just what we did. We mowed, hacked and cut our way a great road only about 2ft over on our side. Our road cut's by his stand only about 4ft away!!! We plan on putting a ladderstand up on our road just a few ft away from his, to return his hospitality.

All the guy had to do was be polite and we would have worked something out, like cut our road a little deeper on our side. But, he took the ******** route so we treated him the same.

It was beautiful.

Tommy

jason308

Where was your camera so we could have seen the look on his face? I don't know why folks get like that, hope he's happy now. Maybe you could put up an outhouse on that side of the property! :rofl: Sorry i probably shouldn't think like that.

Woody's Janitor

jason308 said:
Where was your camera so we could have seen the look on his face? I don't know why folks get like that, hope he's happy now. Maybe you could put up an outhouse on that side of the property! :rofl: Sorry i probably shouldn't think like that.
Delton has a great design for the outhouse!!! :rofl:

jason308

10-4 on that! But a wilder looking paint scheme would definitely be in order! Probably could vent the thing over towards the stand too! :bounce:

Woody's Janitor

Or they could put up a hog pen there!!!

Lthomas

Thomas Lackey said:
The new landowner, a Florida fella, get's pretty nasty with my buddy. He tells him to get off and he's cabling that piece of the road off and we better stay away from his "new" food plot and deer stand.

Tommy
Couldnt of you posted this without that. I mean lots of folks on here are Florida fellas. Not trying to "Stir the pot" because it seems you are holding the spoon and doing a fine job of it yerself. ::ke:
By the way your stating it, You would think all of the folks south of the Georgia line are void of common desency.
BTW. I am sorry you had to deal with a jerk. They seem to be everywhere. My favorite quote would be. "Carma its a boomerang. "

Last edited:

labman

Banned
Thomas I promise all FL folks aren't like that. I think you did the right thing I would have loved to be there to see his face. I'm from FL and I think the guys a jerk. Start dumping yalls gut pile by his stand.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Lab,

I know, 99% of guys I meet from FL are stand up guys. This one happened to be a jerk. I don't know what he's so defensive about. Our club is intensively trophy managed. We're the biggest trophy managed club in the area. There's another 400 acre tract that but's up to his little 60 acres that's trophy managed too. He should be tickled pink about his little piece of heaven nestled between two nice QDM clubs.

I treat people how they treat me. If your nice, I'm nice. If your an butt, I'll be 10X times the butt you are to me. I really would have told the guy what I really thought, but they had a 8-10yr old boy with them. Not his fault his dad is a royal jerk.

By the way, we already discussed making that area a dump area for deer carcasses. ;)

Tommy

trailhunter

this stuff never has a positive ending

Trust me,

I've been faced with this same situation a number of times before. Do your best to smooth over any hard feelings with the new adjacent owner.

If you need to, discuss property lines and hunting distances, but you may want to let him know that you are willing to work things out and don't plan on pushing the letter of the law.

Putting a stand directly next to his is only going to risk an altercation with either you and him or you and the landowner (if this is a lease). I have done this and it was a major mistake.

Plus its not worth the risk of going into the woods with a potentially hostile landowner next door, either from a safety standpoint or retalitory action standpoint (ie. one morning you may wind up noticing a nice golden pile just over the property line on his side about the same time you see game warden coming toward you).

In one incident, we lost over a hundred acres of 4 year old planted pines to a match simply because of a dispute between two neighbors that did not involve us.

Don't make the same mistakes that I have, stay on friendly terms with adjacent landowners as best you can and seek legal advice before doing anything.

Good luck in the woods and be safe.

th

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The whole situation sounds like a problem in the making. He may have been a butt but as long as he is on his side all is legal. It's not the right thing to do but some people are just that way. I think doing anything in the way of trying to get back at him is just immature and would cause a pain that just isn't worth it.

sniper13

It might be immature, but a good time could be had by all.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I'm guess I'm going to be immature about it. It's his property and he can do what he want's to do with it. It's our lease and if we want to make a trail to connect back up with the only road that give's us access to that entire section of the property we will. That's what really is chapping us. His property dips into that road for a measly 60yd stretch. The rest of that 800yd rd is on our property. He's got another 100yds of our road frontage he could have used, if he had been rational about the whole situation.

He wanted to be an big toebig toebig toe, so he's getting some back. I'm not going out of my way to smooth crap over with this guy. He blew his chance at having good relations with us. If he want's to come down to our club and apologize to us, that's great, we can forgive and forget, but until that happens, he'd better get used to some 4 wheeler traffic a few feet away from his deer stand.

As for legal standpoints. The butt landowner is perfectly legal, because he's on his property, and we're perfectly legal because we're on our property. It's only a 4ft difference, but everyone's legal.

Tommy

Last edited:

jman9977

It's sad to see the sport we all love come to something like this. I hope all works out for you and the butt. He will get his in the end. :bounce:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You very well should be able to use the road and it will be his problem when you go by. I just don't think you should go crazy and dump stuff nearby or anything like that. I would hate for him to also do something and it make your season a mess.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
It was just an idea. I think a ladder stand a few feet away from his on our side should get the point across.

I bet none of us will hunt that ladder, but he won't know that. I know for a fact I won't. That part in the road rarely sees all that much deer travel. Guess he thinks his ready made seed bed slash road for a food plot are going to yank all the deer off of our property onto his.

Oh well, guess that's how it goes with socially disabled line hunters. :huh:

Tommy

Sharpshooter

Be careful you all only lease your property, a few phone calls from an irate landowner can cause a bunch of problems for you.
It doesn't take much these days for timber companies to send you packing. In there mind it is easier to find a new bunch to lease the land to then to be a referee for these type of disputes.

Bill

Ga-Spur

The land owner pays the sheriff's salary . He has more options . I believe you would be better off by making peace.

Lumpkin Hunter

You might want to make piece as some of the others have said. Just suppose you shoot the largest buck you have ever seen let's say a 190 BC class buck. It dosen't go down and you track it to his property line. Then under the law you have to seek permission to go on his property and find the buck. He may say no. I know you can get the game warden and probably go get the buck, but alot can happen to a animal while you make phone calls.
I'm really sorry that you and your club are having to go through this type thing, but I also feel this just shows part of what hunting has turned into.
I would imagine he could find a better spot for a food plot and stand on his land and the entire situation would not have happened. We never know what type of situation the other person has had to go through either.

Good luck with the situation and I guarantee you I can feel you pain.