LJ is Back - let's see how it goes

Lanier Jim

Out on a morning trip with Steve and his son Britton again. We've been out a few times and they like to go at different times of the year to see how to catch'em that time of year.

Today it was the summer pattern. Started off with a Jerk Shad over brush for a fish or two. I looked around and the sun was coming up...no wind....the surface just looked dead.....so I said "Jerk Shad is done - it's time to pick up the spybait, spy head, and drop shot."
We started targeting brush on main lake humps 25'-30' deep. Good call....first hump with the spybait, we boated 3 fish....Britton stuck a solid 2# spot and Steve had a double on the same spybait!

The pattern was simple....spybait then drop shot on main lake humps. We were getting a fish at most every stop on one of these two baits. This was Steve's and Britton's 2nd time drop shot fishing...and first time with the spybait. Got to admit - pretty proud of the way they picked up on the 2 techniques.

Color: Spybait it was the 80 G-Fix in American Shad and Ghost Pearl....and the 90 Blue Hitch. Drop shot - Blue Lily, Morning Dawn, LJ's Obsessions. Along with this - I caught 2 fish on the new spy head with a disco colored swimmer with the tail cut off. This gives it a real subtle vibration with just the prop plume.

Ended the morning with 20+ fish....not bad for the conditions....no wind and hot. Steve and Britton are fun father/son team. Lots of trash talking and laughs. Britton even showed up sportin his Lanier Baits hat.

Attachments

• 36676.jpeg
    36676.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 36678.jpeg
    36678.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 36717.jpeg
    36717.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 84
  • KIMG2713.JPG
    KIMG2713.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 83
  • KIMG2715.JPG
    KIMG2715.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 73
  • KIMG2717.JPG
    KIMG2717.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 72
  • KIMG2719.JPG
    KIMG2719.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG2721.JPG
    KIMG2721.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG2723.JPG
    KIMG2723.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Awesome report and welcome back! Say you're in 25 feet of water and have a brush pile 10ft tall, so the top of the brush is 15 feet under the surface. How deep are you running your spybait?

Lanier Jim

Awesome report and welcome back! Say you're in 25 feet of water and have a brush pile 10ft tall, so the top of the brush is 15 feet under the surface. How deep are you running your spybait?
I'll count it down about a 7-8 count so it runs above the gamefish. They can cover 8-10' in a spilt second. Duo Realis Spybaits (for instance an 80 G-Fix model) will fall about 1' a second on 6# fluorocarbon. I use 8# Nano Braid (Sufix - Rapala.com) to a 6# Fluoro leader and it falls about the same. This is a big fish bait too....yeah, you'll catch small fish on it too but the big fish love it too. Here's a great video from David Swendseid, a friend of mine with Duo, discussing spybait fishing.

little rascal

Don't know why spybaiting ain"t more popular? I got me one after hearing about ya'lls spybaiting on Lanier a couple years ago. Tried it on Allatoona before I moved to Smallieville. It worked, sometimes better than when they wouldn't eat live shad or spottails. The smallies up here ain't too interested in it, but there ain't no shad up here in the lakes except a few schools of so tiny you can't match the hatch. Got plenty of Emerald shiners and I alternate between them live and tiny towater stuff and catch a few sometimes.