Load for CVA Optima 2

RomeWolf

Son picked up a CVA Optima 2 0.50 cal and we need to work up a load for whitetails. Going to use Blackhorn 209 powder. Have the 209 breech plug and Blackhorn's suggested CCI primers. Any suggestions on bullets and grains of powder to start? This is our first time developing a load.

Deernut3

Not sure about the Blackhorn (i just bought some myself) but i understand 90 or 100 grain by volume is a sweet spot. The Hornady SST 240 grain i believe, it has a red sabot and red ballistic tip has shot great groups no matter what powder charge I've used. I just bought some Hornady XTP with the green sabot to try. I've been a bit disapointed in the SST's performance on deer as they don't seem to expand very much leaving not a great blood trail.

BarnesAddict

Just about any modern inline capable of shooting BH209, shoots well with 100 to 110grs VOLUME. Put a Barnes 290gr T-EZ on top it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I use 100 gr of the Buckhorn 209, pushing a Powerbelt 245 gr.AeroTip. Pretty solid results.I've found the Powerbelts load a lot easier than other sabots.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I use 100 gr of the Buckhorn 209, pushing a Powerbelt 245 gr.AeroTip. Pretty solid results.I've found the Powerbelts load a lot easier than other sabots.
I also have seen excellent results from the Aerotip and 100gr load.
Complete pass through several times and never stopped one.

rugerfan

Just sighted mine in a few weeks ago with 2 50 Grain Triple 7 pellets and 250 Grain Hornaday SST's. 3 Shots at 100 inside 1 1/2" The 2 shots from a fouled barrel were actually touching.

Have never shot anything with a muzzleloader as of yet, hopefully that changes thos year.

Gbr5pb

Been shooting 3 pellets and a 295 powerbelt in my traditions since got it on clearance at wallyworld back in 2008. Shoots 2 inch group at 100 and puts the wack on 250 pound hog. Hadn’t saw any need to try anything else?

tdc4dade4

My traditions performs well with 90 grains of bh209 and a 250 grain sst , but I have to agree with deernut I haven't been pleased as far as blood trails , Definitely looking for something better

the Lackster

My wolf is extremely partial to a 90gr charge of blackhorn 209, cci shotgun primer, pushing a 300 grain sst.