Local boys get signed nationally

Drew

I grew up with these boys, pretty much known them all my life. Vandiver used to cut my hair when I had some. I have never had the opportunity to see their show but hear that its entertaining. Anyway, here is the article from the Walton Tribune with the details.

http://www.waltontribune.com/story.l...c595b692c08baa

Locals take TV national

By Stephen Milligan
The Walton Tribune

Published November 15, 2006

WALTON COUNTY — A lot of men go hunting and fishing in the state of Georgia.

But not all of them bring their video cameras along.

The four men in “Living Outdoors,” the locally produced outdoors program created by Walton residents Jeff Vandiver, Charlie Brown, Jay Stone and Ricky Brown, do just that, serving as the stars, cameramen, directors, editors and every other position on their do-it-yourself program.

The show, which currently runs on Monroe Utilities Network’s local Channel 16, has recently been picked up by cable network The Sportsman Channel, giving the program a chance to attract a national audience of 5.2 million viewers.

Despite the chance at a little fortune and glory, Charlie Brown said the show was just a way for them to put their own stamp on the outdoors genre.

“So many of these shows, you see these big film crews head out to Africa or to these big ranches,” Brown said. “We’re just doing things the average guy can do.”

Brown said that the constraints of their lives outside of the show —with families, careers and other time constraints —gives them an approach closer to their viewers than big name shows currently on the air.

“We have to check with our wives before we go hunting,” Brown said with a smile, as Ricky Brown quickly chimed in agreement. “It’s something we do after work and in between kids’ ballgames and stuff.”

With a low-budget approach, using items bought from local retail stores rather than giant outfitters, and with a family-friendly feeling made complete by some episodes involving their kids the men of “Living Outdoors are just enjoying the outdoors lifestyle on which they grew up.

“This is something we’re always doing,” Stone said. “If we weren’t filming, we’d still be out hunting and fishing. We just want to share it with others.”

With the show set to debut on the Sportsman Channel in January, with a first season of 13 episodes to air three times a week, “Living Outdoors” is prepared for the limelight, but they’re still looking for a few sponsors.

Although the contracts are signed and their airdate is set, the four outdoorsmen are now striving to be businessmen as they look for advertisers to help fund their side of the equation.

“We can do a 30-second commercial in front of over 5 million people,” Brown said. “We’re seriously looking for some sponsors now.”

With two years of experience filming and editing their program, and 16 half-hour episodes already in the can from their local programming, “Living Outdoors” is more than just a hobby for these four men, but their way of life.

“We were already hunting and fishing and catching frogs and crawdads and the like,” said Ricky Brown. “Then they invented the video camera, so we brought it along.”

Vandiver agreed that even if the cameras weren’t on, they would still be picking up their fishing lines and hunting rifles every chance they got, but said the show allows them to share this with a wider audience.

“We’re showing what the man who works can do in his spare time,” Vandiver said of their program’s more common man approach. “We do it because we love it.”

Charlie Brown said that love would keep them filming, no matter their reception in January.

“There’s too many normal men who will never hunt for a living,” Brown said. “This is a chance to see what a natural, working man can do.”

Booner Killa

That's pretty cool. I'd like to sit down and talk to those dudes. I bet they are a hoot to talk to. I haven't seen that program on the Monroe Utilities network though and that is what we had a few months ago. I bet they're show will be a hit though. Good luck to them!!!!

Mossy0ak270

Ricky Brown is my Daddy's cousin. I caught them a few times on the MUN channel. I love seein the local stuff, its what we do. I wish them the best with their show. Its a good un.

Jody Hawk

Is this the same Ricky Brown that used to raise chickens and was a Monroe fireman? Live down there between old Cowpens store and Pleasant Valley Rd. If so, I know him. I saw him behind me in the McDonalds drive through the other day but didn't talk to him. He done the wallpaper in my house, I'll put him against anybody hanging wallpaper !!!!!!! :D

Huntinfool

They are pretty good guys. I grew up going to school with Charlie and Jeff cut my hair for years when I lived in Monroe.

My dad took them up to Blackhawk outfitters for some giant rainbows a few months ago. They made a pretty good show out of it. Hope they do well.

HOWCO

Local Hunts

Good Guys
Went duck hunting with Charlie last year.
Check out the web site at livingoutdoors.org

Big7

The Oracle
Jeff Vandiver passed away Tuesday after a long and sad battle with covid.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sorry to hear that

Drew

I attended the visitation and funeral service. It was a very sad day as so many people knew him in this community and he was beloved by all. I enjoyed growing up and hunting and fishing with him. He was a great friend, a great dad and husband and will truly be missed by everyone. Prayers to his wife Melissa and their two kids.