Lock on and Ladder Stand safety system

RamblinWreck

I got a safety rope with my Summit SOP harness. The main rope is @ 1/2" dia. in a green/brown color, and the Prussic loop is made with a 3/8" dia. black rope. I believe these are climbing ropes of the "static" (non-stretching) type, as opposed to the "dynamic" (stretching) type, which is designed for absorbing shock of a long fall like one might encounter when mountain climbing.

I am going to make mine with the same types of rope if I can find them in bulk. Climbing ropes aren't cheap. An alternative is to buy the Summit combo 3-pack of Climbing System ropes, where you get 3 - 30' ropes with Prussic loops already on them for around $100. I intend to have these ropes installed on all my stands (I only use lock on fixed stands with climbing sticks, or ladder stands. Climbing stands make too much noise and I have only one, for public hunts, or quick trips to other's clubs).

If I find the rope I will post it here. Use at your own risk...

cmoss

The best thing to do is to use a girth hitch around the tree, that way any tension that is put on the rope will automatically tighten the rope around the tree and you dont have to worry about it slipping

1776Flintlock

I bought a similar set up from Hunter Safety Systems and I like it a lot being tethered up and down while getting in and out of my hang on stands.

1776Flintlock

Raven10475

OK great advice I have seen this before but, what happens if you fall installing your climbing sticks, or tying the rope to the tree to begin with???? It seems to me that you got a better chance of falling while you are utilizing both hands installing steps/sticks or tying a rope to a tree. (just stirrin the pot a little.)

treehugger49

OK great advice I have seen this before but, what happens if you fall installing your climbing sticks, or tying the rope to the tree to begin with???? It seems to me that you got a better chance of falling while you are utilizing both hands installing steps/sticks or tying a rope to a tree. (just stirrin the pot a little.)

While installing my BuckSteps and hanging my stand, I utilize the lineman's hookup on my Seat O' The Pants harness. There is an attach point on the belt on both sides (left hip and right hip). Attach your rope that you use as a safety rope when in the stand to one side, take it around the tree, and use the Prussic hitch anchored with a carabiner to the other attach point. This gives you the ability to adjust the length of the safety rope as you need while climbing and installing your equipment, yet you are still protected should you slip.

Good question, as you are right - you are probably most vulnerable during the put-up/take down process.

Last edited:

treehugger49

I got a safety rope with my Summit SOP harness. The main rope is @ 1/2" dia. in a green/brown color, and the Prussic loop is made with a 3/8" dia. black rope. I believe these are climbing ropes of the "static" (non-stretching) type, as opposed to the "dynamic" (stretching) type, which is designed for absorbing shock of a long fall like one might encounter when mountain climbing.

I am going to make mine with the same types of rope if I can find them in bulk. Climbing ropes aren't cheap. An alternative is to buy the Summit combo 3-pack of Climbing System ropes, where you get 3 - 30' ropes with Prussic loops already on them for around $100. I intend to have these ropes installed on all my stands (I only use lock on fixed stands with climbing sticks, or ladder stands. Climbing stands make too much noise and I have only one, for public hunts, or quick trips to other's clubs).

If I find the rope I will post it here. Use at your own risk...

I, too, use and recommend the Summit Climbing System in all of my hang-on stand sites.

http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329141

Good advice Wreck, from one "wreck" to another, '71.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
yep, always use a linemans style harness hookup when installing steps or stand

Vapor 300

The best harness I have found is still the summit harness . I had mine from abunch of years and it still works. Great idea I will be using this year. Thanks .

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I'm glad I found this. After some practice, I can now tie a Prusick Knot! I'm a firm believer in wearing a safety harness, but always wondered how I would get to the ground if I fell. I guess w/a climber you would climb to desired height & then attach your rope around tree above you, then attach safety harness to Prusick knot, and then attach the 2nd rope w/ Prusick knot foot loops. This would enable you to work your way to the ground if you fell?

Last edited:

tony32

been using that for years its a requirement on my club great job on the illistration

gpigate

I have been looking at putting a few of these together. The cheapest I can find rope of 1/2" is .79-.99 and it has around a 500lb load limit. i think this is shock load, not working load.
so I am around 30 bucks in rope for 30ft, then another few bucks for the prussik rope

why wouldnt you just buy what is already made? I seriously only see saving a few bucks maybe

is there other rope out there somewhere cheaper that makes making these more beneficial?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I have been looking at putting a few of these together. The cheapest I can find rope of 1/2" is .79-.99 and it has around a 500lb load limit. i think this is shock load, not working load.
so I am around 30 bucks in rope for 30ft, then another few bucks for the prussik rope

why wouldnt you just buy what is already made? I seriously only see saving a few bucks maybe

is there other rope out there somewhere cheaper that makes making these more beneficial?

I bought a 100' length of 1/2" but climbing experts tell me 3/8 would be sufficient a few years ago. I have made 4 or 5 and leave them up for the year. I think I got mine from REI on a close out. The 3/8 I use for the prussic came from the same place. If you use the google search and shop you can come out a lot cheaper than buying the ready made packages.

gpigate

i have an HSS, and do love it, more trying to rig 3 setups for lock on stands to keep on the line at all times

danmc

When installing/removing something like that I wear a harness meant to go with a climbing tree stand. Makes me go slow, but not as slow as a broken back. If you have a harness that can attach to 2 straps that go around the tree, you can get past obstacles by unhooking one, moving it past, and then doing the other. That way you're always hooked up all the time.

-Dan