Lock on and Ladder Stand safety system

Big Mike

Harness descent system

While reading the instructions for a new Summit climber, I saw that the safety harness included a suspension relief strap to relieve suspension trauma, which I had never heard of. While looking into suspension trauma I found the product below. It's a harness system that allows you to control your decent to the ground after a fall from a treestand. It's a pretty neat system, although pricey. I am not affiliated with nor do I own the system, I'm just passing on some information.

http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/

Last edited:

HCPope

I don't know if this has already been stated because I didn't read all the posts. But be sure that the rope you use to run up the tree and the rope you use for your prusik are are two DIFFERENT diameters. If they are the same diameters then it will not bite. I work as a raft guide and we use prusik knots as brakes on our z-drag systems to un-pin rafts. I promise you, you need two different diameters. Again, not sure if this has already been discussed but if it hasn't then go try it for yourself. Use two ropes of the same diameter and two of different diameter. You will instantly see and feel the difference.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It can't be said too many times. There are still plenty of hunters out there that don't get it. You will never see a tree surgeon or a lineman take one step off the ground without wearing a safety harness and being "tied in". They know something those deer hunters don't know - Macho don't cut it.

I agree elfii. I haven't used one in a ladder as I did to know the correct way to install my lifeline . This helped me get a visual as to what I could try. I have a couple lifelines to hang

Seth carter

Banned
OK great advice I have seen this before but, what happens if you fall installing your climbing sticks, or tying the rope to the tree to begin with???? It seems to me that you got a better chance of falling while you are utilizing both hands installing steps/sticks or tying a rope to a tree. (just stirrin the pot a little.)

I feel that way too more stuff to get tangled up in too

waldenjg

I have always wondered why the full body harness (which I use) and not just a swiss seat or climbing seat? I know how to tie a swiss seat (thanks USMC) and I have a climbing seat. I may just have to switch it up and try it out.

mauserbull

my level of hunting safety grew 100% from this sticky. I was a matcho man till reading the simple steps to be safe. thanks

DCHunter

Can someone describe exactly how you actually tie the rope to the tree at top? What kind of knot do you use to prevent it from slipping down the tree in case of a fall? Or is it assumed you tie it above a tree branch? I'm confused and I've tried researching but I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. In other words, would ya'll mind dumbing it way down for me? Assume my IQ is about 67

Muddy Water

if you fall from the ladder stand on the way up how in the world are you gonna grab anything to get back up after the fall? just wondering cause I got to start using these things.

I can see how you would get off the rope if you fell going up the sticks, but not the ladder. little help please

The trick is not to use the prussick knot. You can't loosen up a loaded prussick knot so you're stuck unless you have a footloop or an ascender. the better knot is a safety knot. it's a simple wrap up and return knot tied from a loop of thin nylon rope. you can loosen those up while loaded but it still isnt easy

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Can someone describe exactly how you actually tie the rope to the tree at top? What kind of knot do you use to prevent it from slipping down the tree in case of a fall? Or is it assumed you tie it above a tree branch? I'm confused and I've tried researching but I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. In other words, would ya'll mind dumbing it way down for me? Assume my IQ is about 67

I prefer to use a running bowline at the top.
Learn this knot and you will use it to pull a truck out too.
countless uses to a bowline, easy to untie when you want, wont slip and very strong. Just make sure you tie a running bowline correctly and no limb or nub is needed.
You could use it in a climbing stand also. Move it up as you go. Excellent knot. Once tied look for the horseshoe in the knot. To untie just lift the horseshoe and pull the tail out.
Get it right and you will learn to love the bowline and running bowline. Make a loop up and away. old saying to tie the bowline is rabbit comes out of the hole around the tree and back in the hole. Learn it.