Long term study about coyote effects on deer populations

bowhunterdavid

There is not a night at our deer land in Wilkes that we don't hear coyote's. Sometime's more than one pack. The deer populating is pretty good and we saw more fawns last fall then we have ever seen. We kill a few ,but we are bow hunting our place and its pretty hard to draw on a coyote even 20 feet up a tree. They can pick you off better than any critter i have ever seen. I'm sure they kill some deer, but i was thinking this last year about all the does and fawns we were seeing. I think the deer are adapting better to them. I don't like them but they are a pretty amazing how smart they are.

shdw633

I don't want to be impacted locally. :biggestshoot:

nmurph

Thank you NCH, I've said this same thing in several threads recently. It's mostly about the carrying capacity of the land.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you NCH, I've said this same thing in several threads recently. It's mostly about ther carrying capacity of the land.
I have also noticed that the folks who have the most troubles with coyotes eating all their deer are the ones who never shoot a young buck, but kill a few does for the freezer every year, along with the other folks on their club. :)

Wayne D Davis

Love um or hate um they're here to stay. I usually get a crack at a couple a year. If I ever witness one killing a turkey or deer it'll get personal. I know to be on guard while Turkey calling. That's usually when I get a shot.... occasionally closer than I prefer.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

280 Man

Banned
Well something is eating my rabbits.

Can't be yotes!!! :rolleyes:

Love um or hate um they're here to stay. I usually get a crack at a couple a year. If I ever witness one killing a turkey or deer it'll get personal. I know to be on guard while Turkey calling. That's usually when I get a shot.... occasionally closer than I prefer.

It got personal for me!!

Fawn and yote.jpg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I found where one was ambushing turkeys from under a oak with low hanging limbs. I limbed up the tree.
I see where they are chasing rabbits and catching them.
Come this spring fawns will fall.
Anyway it’s something to hunt.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Kris87

There is not a night at our deer land in Wilkes that we don't hear coyote's. Sometime's more than one pack. The deer populating is pretty good and we saw more fawns last fall then we have ever seen. We kill a few ,but we are bow hunting our place and its pretty hard to draw on a coyote even 20 feet up a tree. They can pick you off better than any critter i have ever seen. I'm sure they kill some deer, but i was thinking this last year about all the does and fawns we were seeing. I think the deer are adapting better to them. I don't like them but they are a pretty amazing how smart they are.

I've managed to kill a few with my bow, and I agree, they are some of the smartest animals in the woods. I had one duck my arrow this year at 25 yds, never saw me, but as he ran off he was looking up into the trees I assume because he heard the noise come from above. Never seen one look up so much.

Latest posts