Looking for a kit to build

Evanschd

I’ve built a .54 flintlock from Lyman and have thoroughly enjoyed hunting deer and pigs with it the last few years. I’m looking for opinions on a kit to build specifically for turkey hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders.

geordie

I’ve built a .54 flintlock from Lyman and have thoroughly enjoyed hunting deer and pigs with it the last few years. I’m looking for opinions on a kit to build specifically for turkey hunting. Any thoughts or suggestions?
https://kiblerslongrifles.com

Darkhorse

We need more information. Are you looking for a smoothbore which is what most turkey hunters use, and is legal in most states?
Or do you want a smallbore rifle? Legal in Georgia and illegal in most states?
And what is your price range?

Evanschd

We need more information. Are you looking for a smoothbore which is what most turkey hunters use, and is legal in most states?
Or do you want a smallbore rifle? Legal in Georgia and illegal in most states?
And what is your price range?

I guess that leads to another question of opinion.... will I get a significantly tighter pattern out of a small bore rifle vs a larger smooth bore? Kinda open on price range. There’s obviously a ceiling, but it probably depends mostly on how bad I need to scratch the itch.

Darkhorse

A rifle will shoot a single projectile just like any other rifle. A smoothbore is loaded with shot and shoots patterns just like a shotgun.

Evanschd

A rifle will shoot a single projectile just like any other rifle. A smoothbore is loaded with shot and shoots patterns just like a shotgun.
Then definitely smooth bore, I was hoping someone was going to tell me I could shoot shotgun loads through a small bore with a tighter pattern.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Don’t believe shooting shot thru a rifled gun is good on any levels.
Smooth bores were popular with people back in 1700’s because most couldn’t afford two guns and smooth bores could shoot both shot and round balls at close range.

GeorgiaBob

Then definitely smooth bore, I was hoping someone was going to tell me I could shoot shotgun loads through a small bore with a tighter pattern.

OK I'll tell you you can! But it is a very qualified yes. You can shoot shotgun loads from your rifle by using discarding sabot shot shells. Literally, you will be shooting a "bullet" through the barrel, then the bullet breaks apart and shot shells start scattering.

Two real problems with discarding sabot in black powder weapons. First, the shot will scatter quickly, leaving a very, very poor pattern at any range past 15 yards. Second, good luck finding any, anywhere, ever! (You can make your own, but that is a whole new host of problems!)

Build yourself a black powder shotgun.

Hillbilly stalker

Do a little research on " fowlers" sometimes labeled "foulers". People shot swan shot thru them. It would probably take a while to work up a good turkey load. It would be fun doing it. I gave a . 43 caliber one.

Darkhorse

This fowler interests me a lot. I think it would make a fine Turkey weapon. It has a 36" barrel which is much handier in a blind or tight spots. I hunt turkeys with my .40 caliber with a 38" barrel and sometimes that's too long. I think a 36" is about right.
Also Colrain barrels offers a 36" turkey choked barrel for a truly dedicated turkey gun.
http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-57/

flconch53

I can tell you that you will get a slightly tighter pattern out of a smaller gauge smoothbore. Mine is a true 28 gauge. I use the same amount of shot as I used to use in my 20 gauge you just get a longer shot string. Then it is a case of working up a load.

tgc

Don’t believe shooting shot thru a rifled gun is good on any levels.
Smooth bores were popular with people back in 1700’s because most couldn’t afford two guns and smooth bores could shoot both shot and round balls at close range.
I talked to a re-enactor at a revolutionary war battle. He said his gun was a “smooth rifle “. He could shoot shot or shoot a round ball accurately to 100yds.

Darkhorse

Sure they make smooth rifles. But generally they are in the normal rifle calibers like 50, 54, etc. Which can severely limit the amount of shot. While fowlers can be 20 gauge, 12 gauge etc. http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/smooth-rifles/
I think you can order a smooth barrel in any rifle caliber you want.