Looking for a longer range rifle for deer

Dub

One year in with new no issues it’s clear an crisp. Has held zero great, I got it at a killer deal from Franklins cost sale. Holds light great reticle has light settings where you can dim it the darker it gets. So far so good,

Very nice.

I haven't been keeping up with the newest in scopes these past few years.

I'm assuming the Nikon still has one of the stronger warranties in the industry ?

I'm familiar with Leupold's warranty as well as what I've heard from folk's positive experience with Vortex's warranty.

I'll definitely be looking at one of the Nikon Blacks when I get back into the market soon for a new scope.

I'm wanting either 3-12 or 4-16 zoom along with illuminated reticle on this next scope.

furtaker

The 6.5-300 Wby is a cool cartridge but way overbore for my taste. If Weatherby had chosen to base it on the 257/270/7mm case instead of the 300 case it would be a clone of the old 264 Win Mag and far more appealing to me.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

The 6.5-300 Wby is a cool cartridge but way overbore for my taste. If Weatherby had chosen to base it on the 257/270/7mm case instead of the 300 case it would be a clone of the old 264 Win Mag and far more appealing to me.

If I remember correctly, Weatherby provides a bit more freebore on many their superhot proprietary cartridges.

I'm guessing this helps with barrel life ???

One thing is for certain....they've been in the game for a long time making some interesting magnums. I can't afford the ammo....but it sure makes for some compelling ballistics.

furtaker

If I remember correctly, Weatherby provides a bit more freebore on many their superhot proprietary cartridges.

I'm guessing this helps with barrel life ???

One thing is for certain....they've been in the game for a long time making some interesting magnums. I can't afford the ammo....but it sure makes for some compelling ballistics.
Yes, Weatherby rifles have freebore in the Weatherby chamberings. I think the 240 has a bit less freebore than the other Weatherby Magnums.

Freebore won't help with barrel life. I suspect Roy Weatherby's thinking was that freebore would allow seating the bullet further out therefore slightly increasing case capacity for slightly higher velocity in his magnum inventions. In theory, freebore is detrimental to accuracy but most Weatherbys typically shoot pretty well.

Dub

Yes, Weatherby rifles have freebore in the Weatherby chamberings. I think the 240 has a bit less freebore than the other Weatherby Magnums.

Freebore won't help with barrel life. I suspect Roy Weatherby's thinking was that freebore would allow seating the bullet further out therefore slightly increasing case capacity for slightly higher velocity in his magnum inventions. In theory, freebore is detrimental to accuracy but most Weatherbys typically shoot pretty well.

Cool.

Thanks for the insight.

rosewood

Loaded for my brother's Howa 300 Win Mag. The throat was so deep I couldn't seat the bullet out far enough to hit the rifling and it still be in the case. Took away the worries of over pressure when loading. :)

Rosewood

smokey30725

There was a killer deal on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag on another outdoors site. If I wasn't paying two private school tuitions, it would be mine!

furtaker

There was a killer deal on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .264 Win Mag on another outdoors site. If I wasn't paying two private school tuitions, it would be mine!
Somebody must not have known what they had.
I saw a 264 stainless skeleton stock Ruger on the shelf of a local gun shop a few years ago for a pretty cheap price. I should have bought it.

smokey30725

Somebody must not have known what they had.
I saw a 264 stainless skeleton stock Ruger on the shelf of a local gun shop a few years ago for a pretty cheap price. I should have bought it.
I looked at it again and I mis-spoke. It was an older Remington 700 but it is in beautiful shape and comes with 6 boxes of ammo.

Dub

Thinking in terms of all sorts of deer hunting conditions and having one load that’ll get’r’dun with confidence.....4 yards to 400 yards.... in a 24” .30’06.

I’m leaning heavily towards the 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Accubond.

Is there another bullet I should consider???

Thinking in terms of all sorts of deer hunting conditions and having one load that’ll get’r’dun with confidence.....4 yards to 400 yards.... in a 24” .30’06.

I'd certainly look at the 180gr Accubond too. As well as Hornady Superformance 165 or 180gr.

nmurph

I've used the 150gr BT and AB in '06 for years. I took a very healthy 8pt three years ago at a measured 342yds with 150gr AB...Through the shoulder...DRT.

lonewolf247

That one load for me has been 165 grain core lokts, for the last 25 plus years or so. I had bought a dozen boxes way back then, and I finally ran out of ammo last year. Ironically, when I bought the new core lokts, they wouldn't group consistently from my rifle?

Just so happens, I had bought a couple boxes of 150 grain BT ammo, and tried them, and they grouped well, so I made the switch. My advise, from having tried other brands of ammo in my rifle, before originally switching to the core lokts is to use what groups the best.

I think the magic of the 30-06, is that you could probably go to any store that sells ammo, and close your eyes and grab a box of 30-06 deer hunting ammo from the shelf, and as long as it's between 150-180 grain, you should be good to go. (y)

The only thing I would add is, if you see yourself often taking shots over 250 yards, I would opt for premium ammo. Otherwise, I'd say premium ammo is not needed. My longest shot with the core lokts was pushing just under 400 yards. I made a good hit behind the shoulder, the deer ran about 200 yards, where I found him. I think that was about the only time I've ever not gotten an exit would. The penetration was not the best.

When I was younger, and had perfect vision, I never pushed my shots past 200 yards, now that I'm getting older, and my eyes are not as good, seems my shots often are between 200-300 yards. Kinda backwards, but I think from this point on, I'm gonna stay with premium ammo, because of better ballistics.

Bottom line, I think with 30-06, and shots under 200 yards, nothing better than cup and core bullets. If you want to stretch the envelop out to 400, I'd opt for premium ammo. ;)

leoparddog

Less recoil would definitely be a plus, but getting the most efficient rifle for the job takes top priority. I did try out a .280 one time and it seemed to be a pretty decent compromise.

I'm a fan of the 280Rem but also own and shoot a .308 and a 338-06. I've owned a number of magnums over the years but they all got sold and I haven't missed shooting them. Much like the OP, I'd go to the range a few times a year and want to run at least a box through my hunting guns at different ranges. A few shots at 50 yards to check the zero, a few at 100yrds, a few at 200 yards and depending on where I'd be shooting, a few more at targets of fun.

A box or so through any of the magnums I've owned left me feel a bit beat up. (300WM and 300WSM). Deer and Elk aren't bullet proof and a realistic long shot for me here in GA is 250 yards for Deer. Mostly I kill my deer at less than 100 yards- like 98% of them. Part of that is that I hunt a QDM club and a 6 pointer will cost me at least a $250 club fine. Brow Tines Matter! and spotting brow tines through a scope or binocs at > 150 yards can be a challenge

So over the last 30 years of deer hunting I settled on the concept of "I need a light, a medium and a heavy rifle". For me this is the .223/5.56, .280 and .308 fill the medium role and the .338-06 is my heavy hitter with a 225gr bullet.

There is a lot of good and respectable discussion here and it will need to be boiled down. Basically any rifle between a .243 and a 30-06 and a reasonable magnum like the 7Mag will do the trick for you.

I'd stay away from the WSMs as they have faded in sales and ammo is generally harder to find and they cost more to shoot as well.

Jester896

Senior Clown
link is members only?

i think your right on paper...but i think my HBAR 270WSM hits harder to me than the HBAR 7mmRM i used to have

There are hundreds of selections for both the .270WSM AND.300WSM on Ammoseek. Looks to me to be even more than the 260 Rem. Ammo is not an issue for the more popular SMs, but certainly can be for the lesser popular SAUMs or RCMs.

link is members only?

i think your right on paper...but i think my HBAR 270WSM hits harder to me than the HBAR 7mmRM i used to have

The numbers are all similar. 18, for the .308, 19 for the 270WSM and above 20 for the 06 and 7mag. All my rifles in these calibers are similar in make and weight. I can certainly feel the difference between the .270WSM and .300SAUM at the range in the same Model Seven platform (shown in post #6) I also typically shoot heavier bullets than 165 in that .300 tho as well.

lonewolf247

I think the future of the .270 WSM, and probably the .300 WSM are solid. Ammo is available fairly easy. Now, as for the WSSM calibers, not so much.

As far as recoil felt, I think the rifle configuration is way more relative, than splitting hairs between recoil energy of .270 wsm, 30-06, and 7mm rem mag.

I have a .35 whelen that is an ease to shoot, but sold a featherweight 30-06, that would make you wish you’d never owned it! One of the reasons I Sold it.