Looking for boat ideas

Thread starter #1
I am considering a small skiff for fishing creeks and rivers on the coast. I am considering a Carolina Skiff J16 with a small 4 stroke and trolling motor. Has anyone had any experience with this boat to share. I have heard they ride roughly in a chop, which is expected with a flat bottom skiff. Any thoughts? Thanks.

paulito

We have that boat here at work with a 20hp Merc on it. Heavy but very stable boat. The 20 will get it going good with just one person but start adding people or gear and it struggles. We don't need to go anywhere fast though for work so suits us fine. I would say you need at least a 25hp, preferably a 40 to really scoot around.

You can order them how you want them. For work we got ours with the back bench seat only. Not front deck or nothing. If things change you can order the pieces to add back onto the boat. They can/will prewire for lights.

If i buy a personal boat i will likely get one but 18-20 foot to make the wife happy. HA

Thread starter #3
I came across the Hobie Power Skiff and similar models by other builders in my searching. Wow, this looks like a great small boat for fishing. I am still leaning towards the J16 because of the room. Thanks Paulito. I think a 40 hp would be a good match.

Browning Slayer

Official GON Forum Meme Poster

I came across the Hobie Power Skiff and similar models by other builders in my searching. Wow, this looks like a great small boat for fishing. I am still leaning towards the J16 because of the room. Thanks Paulito. I think a 40 hp would be a good match.
The J16 is a great boat for what you are looking for. I fished a J16 for 20 years. I've had it powered with a 25 but you'll want the 40. The 25 will work fine until you add weight in the boat and it will struggle getting on plane. Go with the 40hp. Below is the J16 powered with a Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke. She will scream! We've got 31mph out of here and that's quick. It will ride rough in chop. Slow down and you'll be fine. I've taken this boat across the country, fished the Gulf and Atlantic inshore more times then I could shake a stick at. It's also a great river boat! It has a MinnKota Terrova 55lb thrust that will pull the boat up stream in the Hooch tailwaters and a Helix7. It is a fishing machine and one I've used on Lanier more times then I can count.

You won't be disappointed with it.

IMG_6384.PNG

IMG_6386.PNG

Last edited: