Looking for input on a new trolling motor.

GaMudd

I am tired of fixing my old trolling motor, but every time I start to shop for a new one, I can't pull the trigger. Too many choices. I'm not a tournament/hard core guy, I just like to go out and beat the banks.
I have an old MotorGuide 55/24v now. I'd like to know if there is that much difference between the new electric steer vs. the cable steer models. My searching says the electric steer are not as responsive as the cable steer, but they sure do seem to be popular. I can't see ever using any type of electronics/sonar on the trolling motor (I do have a Lowrance at the back of the boat), so that doesn't really influence much. I like the idea of the anchor/spot lock feature. What do you guys find to be the most important things to consider when buying a new one?

hopper

I'm a bit like you. Like running the banks an docks. Not a tournament guy at all. For me buying a new one it would have to have an anchor mode (spotlock) comes in handy.

hipster dufus

i run the banks also. all i can say is go with the biggest u can fit/afford. 24v would put u in an 80 lb range.i like cable steer. less stuff to break. im not fond of the way the spotlocks look/ deploy. looks like they would break easy. fortrex or maxxum 80# will b my next one. im running a 70 lb maxxum on my 1756 cc, using lithium batterries. the battterries are great, just wish i had gotten the 80lb. buy once, cry once.

pbradley

Do your research, get more thrust than you think you'll need, as much as you can afford, and then check out the used listings on bbcboards.

GaMudd

The Ghost may be worth more than my boat! Seriously though, I like the Spot Lock feature. I'm kinda leaning toward an Ultrex, I just have to bring myself to spend the money.

hipster dufus

Someone enlighten me. What does the spotlick improve on? I think the constant running to keep u in place is capable of spooking fish. I fish for bass only. Very rarely do i hav to stay in place. Enlighten please.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Someone enlighten me. What does the spotlick improve on? I think the constant running to keep u in place is capable of spooking fish. I fish for bass only. Very rarely do i hav to stay in place. Enlighten please.
Makes for launching my boat easier and that's just the 1st part of the day.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

The only time spot lock isn't good is when you are super shallow. It can kick up the bottom with its movement. A shallow water anchor is more useful in that case. Other than that, they are useful in a ton of situations.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Small hump deep water, sitting on a certain spot on a river ledge, fishing at flat, Carolina fishing a creek channel or drop off. If you use your trolling motor it keeps you in one small area with out you having to constantly be moving the trolling motor to keep you on a spot so you can focus on your lure and it’s action unless you’re just a bank fisherman.

marlin

I also have questions about trolling motors. I am going with a 24 volt system due to fishing local rivers. I would like to stay with cable steering if possible. Also want spotlock. Motorguide tour pro is the only one I’ve found like this. Does anyone here have any pros or cons on this trolling motor? Way too many brands and models to choose from now days.

pbradley

I've spent the last 2 weeks looking. Just can't justify the expense of a new motor. Bought a used motorguide 24v 82 lb. off a guy from marketplace this morning.

Skeeter XRi

When trying to dropshot brush piles in deep water, or when you’re fighting wind and need to retie, spotlock is awesome. I probably fish 30-40 times/year and for me, I still can’t justify the $ for it.

I fish with a couple of guys that have it and as awesome as it is I’m too much of a tight wad. The same goes for this FFS stuff. I have plenty of other hobbies to share the consumption of any excess funds.

YMMV,
jim

Wood999

All of the above for Spot Lock. Excellent to have in current, makes it super easy to stop and re tie, and hold on structure. I do use the 'jog" button to move alot.

I fish backward in a lot of river current and it helps slow down and i use it dozens of times a trip, and maybe more on a day like today in a ripping wind.

Hook Set = Hit Spot Lock.

The electric is slower to respond, and I lost a lot of feel with the electric. Still do not like that part.

BassRaider

I have the MinnKota Terrova.
Pros: spotlock
Cons: Cost, mine deployed twice while hitting wake(have to lock shaft down now),
cable guard gets in the way sometimes when trying to stow, too many buttons on foot pedal for an old man. Did I mention cost?

WranglerSS

I've had a Minn Kota Terrova, Ulterra and Ultrex. Now I have a Garmin Force. I will not have a trolling motor without spot anchor lock.

Lilly001

I have the Terova 12 v 55 lb on a small panfish special. I use the hand control and love it. The spot lock is great.
I prefer it to a cable as I can be anywhere on the boat and I find the remote hand control very intuitive to use.
They are $$ though.

Latest posts