Looking for recipe. Mexican Cabbage Salsa

mark1j

Ate at a Mexican restaurant in Glenwood Springs Co. and was served this with chips along with regular salsa. Waitress said they just call it cabbage. It had cabbage, tomato, jalapeno and onion. Maybe cilantro and green onion too. Google turns up some results but none of them sound like what I had at this place. Does anybody have a recipe for this that they would share?

naildrvr

Never heard of it either, but it sounds good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like just pico de gallo with cabbage in it. Pico is chopped tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, onions, salt, garlic, and lime juice. Make some pico and add chopped cabbage, and I bet that's it.

Longhorn 16

Core Lokt has me thinking a bit.

Never seen a forum as good as this one.
Mark1j has a quest. Pretty sure he barked up the right tree.

Who’s in for a Paymaster challenge to come up with the official GON cabbage salsa recipe? It’s not like we didn’t all land here for reason.

And GO!

mark1j

Thanks for the help guys. The name of the restaurant is called Tequilas. It didn’t taste like pico, it kind of had pickled taste to it. It was really good. I’ve ate at a lot of Mexican places and I’ve never seen this offered before. I tried to get the waitress to give me some idea of what it was but all I could get out of her was cabbage.:cheers:

mark1j

Ok, after some searching on the internet I think it’s called Salvadoran Curtido. I will try and make some and let y’all know how it is after I pick a recipe to use.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Ok, after some searching on the internet I think it’s called Salvadoran Curtido. I will try and make some and let y’all know how it is after I pick a recipe to use.
I googled it and it looks and sounds like my kinda side dish. Gonna HAVE to try it! Thanks!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

chobrown

FD35F817-5C6C-4588-8E79-57FA2977B824.jpegthis look like the place? If so someone in the google reviews called the dip Mexican Coleslaw. Found a few pics of what sounded like you described.
EC2A2233-4D68-4C96-A940-9F563EFAA54E.jpegE3DC2017-595F-45D2-9F98-1F9D317940B8.jpegE55D8752-100F-4604-9A89-3ABB7F8BA2E1.jpeg

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I practically keep a bowl of curtido in the fridge at all times, got some in there right now as a matter of fact. You've got to try it with Salvadoran pupusas. Here's my recipe:

shredded cabbage (one bag or half a head)
matchstick carrots
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
One diced red chili ( can substitute red pepper flakes)
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp agave nectar or honey or sugar
1/2 squeezed lime
salt to taste

I usually have cilantro on whatever I'm eating it with, so I don't put any in there.