Looking for Recommendations

BigDogDaddy

Newb here wanting to try out some fly fishing. I've been floating around and doing some reading/research...I've got a pond at my house and want to try out catching bream/bass on the fly. I'm thinking I will need a 5wt rod for that? Would also like to hit the trout streams in the future once I get the hang of it, I can see that each rod has its own place and time. Would a 5wt be too heavy for small trout?

I have some Cabelas gift cards to spend, was looking at their combo sets, big horn and prestige, does anyone have any experience with these? Any help is appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A 5-weight is a good all-around rod for what you’re describing. And the Cabelas combos are good for the money.

JonathanG2013

Newb here wanting to try out some fly fishing. I've been floating around and doing some reading/research...I've got a pond at my house and want to try out catching bream/bass on the fly. I'm thinking I will need a 5wt rod for that? Would also like to hit the trout streams in the future once I get the hang of it, I can see that each rod has its own place and time. Would a 5wt be too heavy for small trout?

I have some Cabelas gift cards to spend, was looking at their combo sets, big horn and prestige, does anyone have any experience with these? Any help is appreciated.

I have only been fly fishing for a year and a half. The guys here are great for insight and advise.

I have a 9 foot 6 weight TFO rod. I use it for both freshwater bass and stream trout fishing. A 5 weight will work fine.

Coenen

A 5wt will make a great starter setup.

In the beginning, make sure you're taking time for some off the water casting practice. Focus on making good quality casts at reasonable distances. That will serve you much better than getting caught up trying to throw long distance like many new fly fishermen(myself included) do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A 5wt will make a great starter setup.

In the beginning, make sure you're taking time for some off the water casting practice. Focus on making good quality casts at reasonable distances. That will serve you much better than getting caught up trying to throw long distance like many new fly fishermen(myself included) do.
Casting distance is one of the least important things for trout fishing. Controlling the drift without drag is the #1 thing.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I have a 5 wt three forks and a 7 wt bighorn both are decent rods for the money

pjciii

I agree with the Cabelas you are looking at in 5wt. Good starter like others have said. That said, learn to cast accurate at 10 to 25 yards and it is about rythm. Dont keep your fly line in the air with false cast. Not a single trout lives there. Roll cast, water haul and switch direction casting are going to catch alot of fish. Also what NCH said "a drag free drift". Cast up stream and side stream and let it drift. Also learn about high sticking.

Good luck and there is alot of help around. Just ask.

Patrick

Buckstop

What they’re saying on roll casts, flip casts and drift control are right on. I’m a newby on the flyrod too. After fishing/boating for a living half my life in FL and the Bahamas I figured it’d be easy peasy. Fished the GSMNP last summer. Found out the current and overhanging limbs will humble you pretty quick. But can’t wait to make another trip! Hardly a day goes by without daydreaming about being back on those streams.

Coenen

Took a buddy of mine out on my "confidence water" just to catch a few fish this summer. It took all of our first trip to get him in the mindset that a 50ft cast doesn't do much for a fish that's 20ft in front of you.

Good practice, at reasonable fishing distances will increase your success significantly.

fish hawk

Bass Master
For fishing tight mountain streams wouldnt tenkara be a lot simpler?I grew up doing it on south Ga. creeks and rivers except we didnt call it tenkara and we used $12.00 retractable bream busters.

JonathanG2013

One other thing with fly fishing. Do not get upset if you lose a good amount of flies. That is part of the game. If you are are using a nymph. You have to get it down where the fish are. If you are using a nymph or say booger, do not be afraid to add a slip shot or two to get the fly down where the fish are.

Another thing I have been taught is let the rod fight the fish. You are to have more success if you have a big fish on with side pressure holding the rod horizontal rather than vertical.

You will learn a lot listening to the guys in here. Also remember to enjoy the outdoors and have fun.

One play that you should go and will have a good shot at catching trout now is Smith Creek the delayed harvest stream in Helen.

Good Luck

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Took a buddy of mine out on my "confidence water" just to catch a few fish this summer. It took all of our first trip to get him in the mindset that a 50ft cast doesn't do much for a fish that's 20ft in front of you.

Good practice, at reasonable fishing distances will increase your success significantly.
Most of the trout I catch on nymphs are practically under the rod tip.

Coenen

Most of the trout I catch on nymphs are practically under the rod tip.
Agreed. I catch a lot of fish that probably aren't two rod lengths away. A quiet approach and a quality shot make the difference.

splatek

UAEC
I am not the best FlyFisherman, but I will add a few comments in hopes that it might help a little:

My take is that a 5wt is a great all around rod, but really heavy and will not allow what @JonathanG2013 mentioned - letting the rod fight the fish - happen. I prefer a 3, or 4, wt. I like a longer rod, so that I can fish right under the tip as @NCHillbilly suggests.
I do not spend a lot on my gear: I use a company called MaxCatch - they sell pretty affordable rods and reels and combos and the cost makes you less worried about slamming the rod with a bead headed nymph or break it another way. Reels are simply line holders around these No GA parts and most of NC as well. Casting past about 20 feet, maybe 30 on big rivers like the tailwaters is unnecessary and will usually spook more fish than catch them.

Don't spend a lot on fancy flies either: Big Y Flyfishing .com is a great resource for flies and fly tying should you adopt that addiction, as well. They sell really good flies for really cheap.

If you are going to fish any small stream in No GA or NC I would highly recommend yellow, orange, purple and black stimulators in sizes, 12, 14, 16. I would also recommend a frenchie or Pheasant tail nynph or two. Realistically, if those were the only to patterns you bought, you'd catch fish in just about every stream around at any time of year.

Good luck. Have fun! It's an awesome past time!

JonathanG2013

One thing that I have experiences is the fight of the fish is more fun on a fly rod than using a spinning or bait caster.

If you catch a 5 inch native or a 10 pound rainbow or brown. Fighting the fish on the fly rod is such a joy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am not the best FlyFisherman, but I will add a few comments in hopes that it might help a little:

My take is that a 5wt is a great all around rod, but really heavy and will not allow what @JonathanG2013 mentioned - letting the rod fight the fish - happen. I prefer a 3, or 4, wt. I like a longer rod, so that I can fish right under the tip as @NCHillbilly suggests.
I do not spend a lot on my gear: I use a company called MaxCatch - they sell pretty affordable rods and reels and combos and the cost makes you less worried about slamming the rod with a bead headed nymph or break it another way. Reels are simply line holders around these No GA parts and most of NC as well. Casting past about 20 feet, maybe 30 on big rivers like the tailwaters is unnecessary and will usually spook more fish than catch them.

Don't spend a lot on fancy flies either: Big Y Flyfishing .com is a great resource for flies and fly tying should you adopt that addiction, as well. They sell really good flies for really cheap.

If you are going to fish any small stream in No GA or NC I would highly recommend yellow, orange, purple and black stimulators in sizes, 12, 14, 16. I would also recommend a frenchie or Pheasant tail nynph or two. Realistically, if those were the only to patterns you bought, you'd catch fish in just about every stream around at any time of year.

Good luck. Have fun! It's an awesome past time!
I usually trout fish with a 3 or 4 weight, too, but the OP mentioned also wanting to pond fish for bass. A 3-wt is a little light for that.

splatek

UAEC
I usually trout fish with a 3 or 4 weight, too, but the OP mentioned also wanting to pond fish for bass. A 3-wt is a little light for that.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I guess I just don't have the big bass in my neighborhood pond. I've actually fished the 'hood pond with a small stream 2 wt and my eagle claw. Sure is fun to bring in a nice bream or bass on that. In my experience a big shellcracker is going to fight harder than a bass; ounce for ounce those suckers fight like a bull!