Looks like rain late next week… go for it this weekend?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My food plot was looking great and the deer are hitting it hard. My neighbor volunteered to mow my yard being I’m not able right now. Food plot out back of the house on power line was mowed too before I could stop him. :eek:I’ll fertilize it this week before the rain.

Deernut3

Planted 3 small plots today. Haven't planted them in two year because my " old " knees. Lot of limbing and tree cutting to keep from getting knocked off the tractor. My butts tired but I'll be up pre-dawn to throw and mow about 8 acres of an old fallow hay field. Black oats, daikon radish and crimson clover is what I put in.

rspringer

Do you think the storm will bring too much rain? How much would be a “washout”? Planning on planting Wednesday two days ahead of the rain.

Jim Boyd

Do you think the storm will bring too much rain? How much would be a “washout”? Planning on planting Wednesday two days ahead of the rain.

Hmmmm I guess that could be a thought.

My ground is super flat so it will just soak in.

Best of luck.

furtaker

We planted a couple of plots this time last year right before that big rain and it completely ruined them. Had to replant them later. Too much heavy rain on a food plot is just as bad as no rain.

We still have two to plant and I'm unsure how this weekend will play out. I'm gonna keep a close eye on the forecast. Fortunately the plots are close to home.

Jim Boyd

We planted a couple of plots this time last year right before that big rain and it completely ruined them. Had to replant them later. Too much heavy rain on a food plot is just as bad as no rain.

We still have two to plant and I'm unsure how this weekend will play out. I'm gonna keep a close eye on the forecast. Fortunately the plots are close to home.

Not only are we flat but also very quick draining (which is good and bad) but the rain is 0% threat to our plots.

Unless we need Noah, I think we are safe.

Best of luck to all plotters!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If anyone finds some extra rain, please send some over to us in need .....

Weather 9-28-2022.JPGWeatherman.JPG

Only good part, is we aren't in the 90's

Canuck5

My plan is to plant into moisture ...... if I ever get any! I still have a few weeks before I really get nervous.

sghoghunter

Same thing we’re planning on in two weeks. Last weekend everything looked good but if we can get some rain between now and then it’ll definitely help. A couple of plots are about half n half sun but we got one that’s real sandy and sunny all day. What’s something good to plant in a sandy light clay dirt?

Canuck5

What’s something good to plant in a sandy light clay dirt?

That's always a good question without knowing more. I'd stick with a cereal grain of your choice and some clovers prefer different soils more than others. Trying to build up organic matter is a noble cause and hard to do, but cereal rye in the fall with clovers and buckwheat in the summer, might be a good option.

Sandy soils.JPG
Clover soil.JPGClover soil-1.JPG

GAbuckhunter88

I had everything ready to plant today with the rain that was forecasted. Now we are down to 10% chance. I’m not sure what to do as I’m not sure when my next free day would be to plant.

Canuck5

I had everything ready to plant today with the rain that was forecasted. Now we are down to 10% chance. I’m not sure what to do as I’m not sure when my next free day would be to plant.

If that is the case .... if you don't have another free day for more than a couple of weeks, then plant. The seeds will sit in dry soil till Mother Nature brings the rain.

If you get free time, in 2-3 weeks, then wait till then. Still good planting time for deer season, assuming that rain will come ..... and it always has.

Canuck5

Never a bad thing, to let it rain and then plant. If we don't get rain till January, your plots would look the same whether you planted or waited, LOL.

DSGB

Was planning on throwing out some wheat and rye in my little clover plot, but without rain I'd be wasting my time. Ground is getting pretty hard even down in the creek bottom. Creek is about dried up, too.