Loose Powder vs. Pellets?

DaddyPaul

I was putting the Encore through the paces at the range today and stumbled upon something....maybe? My gun with two 50gr. pellets will shoot 1.5" groups pretty consistently at 100 yards with an occasional flyer. The flyer might be 2 or more inches out of the group. I had some 777 loose powder on hand and figure what the heck, I'll try some of it. Wow! My groups shrunk and I got no flyers. What is up with that? Is it more consistent powder charges that cause this with the loose powder. No doubt come Saturday my gun will be loaded with loose powder with pellets in my speed loaders for a back up shot if necessary. Anybody else noticed this with their set-up?

frankwright

Yes, While I have never used pellets, I have read from other sources such as Muzzleloader forums and Magazines that very same thing. While pellets are very convenient (and expensive) they have several faults. One they attract moisture more than loose powder. I don't know why, I am just repeating the things I have seen several times.
Also as the spark hits the pellet from the rear and ignites it, the consistency of the pellet, how tight or loose,damp or dry will effect where the bullet goes.
One last factor is you have no versatility about powder weight. I have found rifles that shot great with 80 grains and were all over the target with 100.

I am sure most people are using pellets now and they are sure accurate enough for most shooting conditions, but there is room for improvement if you want better accuracy.

leoparddog

Loose powder has always shot better for me.

I know they say you shouldn't use the pellets in a sidelock, but i have (never more than 2@50gr equiv). Pellets are convienent,but for me anyway, 100gr of loose powder has always shot better.

One reason I suspect why. When loading loose powder, I tamp the round (always solid lead - no sabots anymore) I keep tamping until I get about a 5" bounce out of my ram rod.

When tamping the bullet on the pellets???? Am I crushing the pellet? or partially crushing the the first pellet?

Leaving airspace between the powder charge and the bullet is asking for a burst barrel, so I always tamp firmly and maybe the pellet doesn't like it.

So Loose powder for me!