Louis L'Amour Sackett Series

Wade Chandler

I have to admit that I lied in my earlier post that I had only read one L'Amour book. Y'all got me to remembering that I've also read Last of the Breed. I have no idea how I forgot that I'd read it :huh: It was a book that I just couldn't put down till I finished it. It's horrible starting to forget stuff when I'm just 19! :smash:

scope

Last of the breed was an awsome book. If you haven't read, you need to. By far my favorite.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Have any of you read his only book that was sort of like science fiction it was about an author who had a friend come up missing in the desert and all these strange things began to happen the name of the book was the Haunted Mesa Iam not into science fiction but I found this book a very good read that kept my attention just because of the mystery of the whole story it was good.

QuackAddict

I started reading The Haunted Mesa and got to about page 75 before I lost it in the woods while hunting. Comstock Lode keeps getting better and better the more I get into it. I will have to check out the Walking Drum. I have always seen it in the book store but it did not look that interesting. I don't think I have read a Lamour book that was not good though.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Louis L'Amour IS LIKE A JOHN WAYNE WESTERN THEY AIN'T NONE BAD. I EVEN LIKED BLUE STEEL NOT ONE OF THE DUKE'S BEST.

Branchminnow

John Wayne was the best but I remember Lamuor saying one time that Sam Elliott reminded him more of his characters than anyone.

Branchminnow

ttt

Bubba_1122

I was a big ol L'Amour fan 20 or 25 years ago.

Haven't read on of his books since then.

Used to love reading the Sackett stories.

Think I'm gonna start back at the beginning and read em again.

I used to could get so lost in those books.

Absolute classics!

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
All of his books are great. He was a good writer. I have several of his books on tape that I enjoy in my truck and have read just about all of them. Sitka is one of my favorites.

Coastie

I love everything Lamour ever wrote including the old Hopalong Cassidy books. His ability to put you in a place was fantastic, you could almost smell the pines or Sagebrush and feel the heat of the desert or the icy cold of the north country. The "Walking Drum" and "The Last of the Breed" are favorites of mine along with the Sackett series.

7401R

Hunting Teacher said:
I think I've read every book he ever wrote about the west and some others as well. I agree that his Sacket series books are my favorites. It's too bad he died fairly young. He was a great writer.
Teach

He was not that young when he died.........he was 80 yrs old. It seemed like he was young because his success came so late in his life. It is really a shame that it took so long for his incredible talent to be recognized.
I started reading his books when I was in the 10th grade... my first one was "Hondo", I was hooked on his writing within just a few pages.

franklinm

Coastie said:
I love everything Lamour ever wrote including the old Hopalong Cassidy books. His ability to put you in a place was fantastic, you could almost smell the pines or Sagebrush and feel the heat of the desert or the icy cold of the north country. The "Walking Drum" and "The Last of the Breed" are favorites of mine along with the Sackett series.

Yep , I spent lots of my of time at sea with Louis , enjoyed ever minute of it .

One of the themes of Louis L’Amour novels is how humans can use seemingly intangible signals to ward off danger or plan a proper path to the pot of gold. One of my favorites is that he knows that the Apache always plan the ambush in the unexpected place, because that’s when the victim will be least alert. Also, how he can tell from the sniffing of his dog, or horse, that all is not well, and that something unimaginably terrible is lurking.

shaggybill

The Walking Drum and Last of the Breed are probably my favorites, in that order. I couldnt put either of them down And after finishing The Walking Drum, I read it again 3 days later.

Branchminnow

Researcher31726 said:
Louis L'Amour was "THE MAN" when it came to writing westerns! :bounce:
Sue
Well he had it all to appeal to everybody a little shooting a little loving.............he gave it all to you!

slightly grayling

Sacketts

I too love the Sackett series. I listen to several books per month on my commute to work. I have listened to all the Sackett series Gwinnett County has and I wish there were more. If you like the Sackett Series, check out Wilbur Smith's Courtney series. The Courtney series is to Africa what the Sackett series is to North America. Smith writes fiction around non-fiction events and writes warts and all. His writing is a bit rougher than L'Amour's, but it is at least as good as the Sackett Series. DO NOT begin this series if you have a lot of other things you must do.....they will hook you and suck up all your free time!
-SG

How2fish

I've read all 17 Sackett books at least once...love'em Walking Drum is also great as is Bendigo Schafter..If you haven't read it "Education of a Wandering Man" is his autobiography it is really a great look into the forming of l'amour as a author and a man...and John Wayne was Hondo.......:yeah:

How2fish

slightly grayling said:
I too love the Sackett series. I listen to several books per month on my commute to work. I have listened to all the Sackett series Gwinnett County has and I wish there were more. If you like the Sackett Series, check out Wilbur Smith's Courtney series. The Courtney series is to Africa what the Sackett series is to North America. Smith writes fiction around non-fiction events and writes warts and all. His writing is a bit rougher than L'Amour's, but it is at least as good as the Sackett Series. DO NOT begin this series if you have a lot of other things you must do.....they will hook you and suck up all your free time!
-SG
SG you are right on the mark about Wilbur Smith's books they are great for reading in the stand..so is Terry C. Johnston Mountain Men novels...:cheers:

Branchminnow

I just got my latest book "Fallon"