Louis L'Amour Sackett Series

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Anybody out there enjoy reading Lamour the way I do? I can sit and read these over and over. I in the process of collecting his entire collection I get a leather bound book every month and look forward to it almost as much as I do getting my GON.

gtaff

Banned
I started that one long time ago when I was younger. Those are awesome set. I read a lot more when I was younger. I should read a lot more. louis lamore was an awesome writer. It was amzing that he could make you feel and make you think you were there.

Branchminnow

I love all of them but I really enjoy the sackett ones the best it kind of compares to John Wayne and some of the other heroes that you think of when you are a kid Another thing I like about him is all the places that he writes about he has been to and he was a rough and tumble young man that lived a lot of the things he wrote about.

QuackAddict

I was reading one of his books in the turkey blind this weekend. They are great books to entertain you during those slow moments of the hunt. The Sackett series are great. I have read so many of them I can never keep track of the ones I have not read. Are you in a book club where you get a book every month? How much?

Branchminnow

It is not really a book club. The publisher is Bantam Books But I write a 17.95 check for each book to Random House they are the ones who send the books to me. I am sure that they have a book club but I am not a member. As far as the sackett series goes They put out a book that not only tells you which are Sackett novels but the chronological order that they are intiended to be in. there is a large timeline that is missing during the Revolutionary war and the War between the States but he does cover the family from the formation of the country through to the west.

QuackAddict

Jubal Sackett has got to be one of his best. I enjoy the real early series when men were discovering the Americas.

Branchminnow

I really enjoyed the description of the forest and streams in that book as well and it lets you know just how much these men really relied on their ability to get around (running) where there were no horses or roads. The land was still clean and noone had disturbed it.

L

loouuii

I have every one of his paperbacks. I have read several of them more than twice. :flag:

georgiaboy

I am a big Sackett fan too and I am assembling the couple of books I am missing from the series. As soon as I get them ordered I am rereading the series. Jubal Sackett and Sackett's Land (the first) are awesome.

meriwether john

I have about 50 or so. you can get some of the older books at used book stores from time to time like the various book nooks around town. had several the were put in storage and got damaged. slowly replacing them as I find 'em.

Wade Chandler

The only L'Amour book I have read is "The Walking Drum" it doesn't follow his typical books which are set in the American West, but I believe it is one of the best books I have ever read. One of these days when I have a little more free time I'll probably get into his series books because I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Jeff Phillips

I started the Sackett Series in Jan. and I have 1 to go. I have really enjoyed them :clap:

Hambone

I've been re-reading the first 3 in the series again (they're all in the same hardback that I have). I enjoy most all of Lamour's books but the Sackett series is, by far, the best!

Got my grandaddy's collection of Lamour's books...........
been in the basement since he died in 86, knowing grandaddy
he had them all...................
Ya'll got my interest up, I'm gonna have to check and see
what kind of shape they are in....................
My luck their a rat nest by now.....................

Branchminnow

I can not remember the name of the book right off but it is not set in the west either It is about an american airplane pilot who gets shot down over the bering strait and winds up spending the winter running and fighting in the old USSR and the ending is probably the best I have ever read by any author I will try to find out the name and give it to yall

Jeff Phillips

Greg Long said:
I can not remember the name of the book right off but it is not set in the west either It is about an american airplane pilot who gets shot down over the bering strait and winds up spending the winter running and fighting in the old USSR and the ending is probably the best I have ever read by any author I will try to find out the name and give it to yall

Greg - That would be Last of the Breed! It is a GREAT book :clap: The pilot is an American Indian.

QuackAddict

Last of the Breed was a good one. I am reading Comstock Lode right now. It is set in a mining camp. I am a big fan of Deadwood on HBO and this book is set in the same type of town.

Branchminnow

Thank You Mr. Phiilips A siuox(I do not know if that is spelled right or not) indian at that it is great reading.

Hunting Teacher

I think I've read every book he ever wrote about the west and some others as well. I agree that his Sacket series books are my favorites. It's too bad he died fairly young. He was a great writer.
Teach

Jeff Raines

I believe I've read every book Louis wrote,Sackett series was great,but I like his novels even better.

Just like Wade,I think The Walking Drum was his best work