Low temperature pellet smoker?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Are there any pellet smokers that go below 180* as the minimum?

I like to smoke some things at 140-150 and all the specs I read on pellet smokers say 180 is the lowest. I am assuming that temperature is needed to keep the pellets lit.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Are there any pellet smokers that go below 180* as the minimum?

I like to smoke some things at 140-150 and all the specs I read on pellet smokers say 180 is the lowest. I am assuming that temperature is needed to keep the pellets lit.

I have not tried this but have read about it.

When pellet stoves are set at a temperature the thermostat is controlling the auger. Temp drops a few degrees below selected and auger comes on to raise the temp back to selected.

When the switch is in smoke the thermostat is no activated. The igniter is on and the auger is strictly working on time on and time off. There is supposed to be an electronic switch accessible on the control to increase the off time which will lower the temp. You have to put the switch back in the factory setting for the smoke mode to work normally. Folks use this as a cold smoke work around. I have not searched for this switch on my Traeger.

Traeger used to make a cold smoke extension which moved the chimney to the end of an extension that allowed the smoke to cool. I can’t find where that’s available anymore.

Joel

My Camp Chef XL vertical smoker has no problem running at 155 when I'm doing a batch of jerky.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Looks like another electric smoker is my only choice.

sbroadwell

Look up Smoke Daddy. I put one on an old, unused Brinkman and am cold smoking all kinds of stuff. Bacon, cheese, boiled eggs.
EDDC1D59-0290-4D3B-8E0E-9DCED798B031.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

sbroadwell

Now you have my attention.

It's a great thing. I bought the middle sized one. You have to drill a 1.125" hole in whatever you mount it on, but you can use it on about anything. Not much meat capacity in the old Brinkman. I'm thinking about getting an old 4 drawer filing cabinet and making something that will do a lot more at one time.
The thing puts out a lot of smoke. It comes with an electric air pump to blow it into whatever grill you mount it on.