Lowrance vs Eagle sonars

gc1962

Could anyone tell me the difference beween the two other than the name. I have owned lowrance with good success but I am looking to upgrade to a color fishfinder gps combo and was looking at the eagle 640C which has a better pixel count at 640V X 480H verses the Lowrance 332C which has a pixel count of 480V X 480H, and is 50.00 higher than the eagle. Never owned a eagle and was trying to get some feedback on it verses the lowrance.

pbradley

I have an Eagle 320 on my boat, professionally installed. It'll go along reading beautifully, and then all of a sudden just start freaking out.

Next thing I know, it says I'm sitting in 800 feet of water, then the screen start flashing. I have to reboot and then it'll work for a few minutes and nut up again.

I'm saving up for a Lowrance now.

jkp

They are owned by the same parent company, so they are very similar. The Eagle is just the lesser brand ie: thinner case, some electrical issues, and less durable. For the money not bad, but I will stick with my Lowrance.
Rgds,
J

UGA Bass Fisher

As stated above they are owned by the same company. The main differences are that the Lowrance units usually have more power which gives you more accurate readings in deeper water.

I have had an Eagle 480 for 2 yrs., and it's a very nice unit.
I also have a Lowrance 332c that I've had for about 6 mths.
I love my 332c, very nice detail.
The 640c and 332c are very similar, except for the resolution and peak power. The 332c has 2500 watts v/s 1500 for the 640c, but the 640x480 of the 640c might show a little better.
But with 2500 watts of power, you might know what is in more detail of what's down in the water.
I'd still buy another 332c if I had to choose again.
Like others have said they are built by the same company but
Lowrance is the top of the line. That's the companys bread and butter, so they probably build them a little better.
Here is a link to a buying guide. Hope this is helpful.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Fishfinder-Buying-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000007607

Badluck

I have had both - they both are good. I killed the trnaducer on the eagle when I hit some rocks at Lanier. I bought a really nice Lowrance at 50% off and have been very please with it.