Lula Bridge WMA

ASAPglock

Anyone do any good up there this morning? I showed up at 3:45am and it was packed. Decided sleep was more important.

ASAPglock

I couldn’t believe what I saw. I was telling my dad “we will be the first ones there if we leave at 3am”. Boy was I wrong. Not sure why people are so gaga over that spot. I scouted it last Saturday and there was not one single hunter up there looking for birds. That’s odd to me. Why does it attract so many people when there are so few birds and no one willing to scout it? I found a nice gaggle of Canadas I was gonna put dad on with hopes that a woodie or two would fly by. Saw 5 woodies up there last week also. There are a few birds there but not enough to attract 15 truckloads of hunters. Oh well, gonna look for some other spots or go to TN/AL and hunt like I normally do.

I have some expensive gear so I’m sure I get lumped in with that crowd sometimes. I know what I’m doing tho. Haha! No hot head here either. I just like to hunt. I grew up hunting in TN where the ramps held maybe one to two other hunters on opening day. We killed ducks too.

AceOfTheBase

"More hunters than ducks"
Nothing new, back in the 70s, my buddy & I would hit Allegan WMA in Michigan to get situated before midnight in order to grab the best spot, then sleep until sun-up.
Later than midnight was too late for the best spot.
Often snowed on us, so we had a tarp to make sort of a tent - it was cold, really cold, but we usually got our limit due to his excellent calling skills.
Lining the ducks up in a row, was a true event over his decoys, and further, we had to pick only the greenheads. it was wonderful!
All I needed and ever used there was my favorite Rem 1100 20 ga LW.

ASAPglock

Back home we didn’t have to get out there at midnight. That’s crazy. We could go at 4am, make our boat ride and be ready to shoot at sunrise. Times have changed. Maybe it is just the area. We were hunting TVA lakes. Big water.

Bama is kind of the way you are describing. It got so bad over there that they put a law in place saying you can’t be there before a certain time.

Last edited:

Wire Nut

The best way I’ve found to kill ducks at Lula is to tie the boat up, no camp and a fishing pole. Hold the pole until they’re in range and grab the gun. Blinds and camp flare them at Lula for some reason.

ASAPglock

Yeah, I’ve hunted up there some in the late season. I have a boat blind but I hide well. Have killed some geese there. All the woodies push out by that time it seems. Have seen a handful of mallards which I’d say are locals. Nothing to write home about. I like diver hunting more anyway.

Ajlink2

Yeah, I’ve hunted up there some in the late season. I have a boat blind but I hide well. Have killed some geese there. All the woodies push out by that time it seems. Have seen a handful of mallards which I’d say are locals. Nothing to write home about. I like diver hunting more anyway.
i was shocked when i pulled up there to find more boats than during striper season.