Lyman Products

chuckdog

With the recent thread about the Lyman warranty on the broken turret bolt, it put me to thinking about my view on Lyman products.

I didn't want to take the earlier thread off track, so here we are.

Most folks like what they're familiar with. If you start with a Rock Chucker, then of course they're the best.

The same goes for the Orange/Grey, different shades of Green, Red, and Blue.

Over the years there's not many major brands that I haven't tried both press and die/accessory wise.

Lyman has been one of those brands that I've not been able to warm up to.

I've sold or traded off every Lyman press I've owned. Mostly due to the excessive camming at the top of the stroke. For me, it simply makes die setup more tedious than necessary. There's also been something missing about their products?

I've used a lot of different brands of accessories. Tried them at friends benches, and wasted a lot of money at my own. The vast majority of accessories I've used most and owned the longest are Green. Vast majority of my presses are Red.

I have Lyman dies in various calibers that have worked flawlessly for years. Both new and several used when a friend sold off his loading equipment.

With my Green stuff being old and well used and the market the way it is today, I've been looking at the Lyman products again.

I have more presses than I can feed, so no need looking at those. For me their dies are still the same. Not my favorite, but still get the job done.

It's their accessories that I've used that seemed to have been improved/modernized/priced more competitively than in years past. I'm not feeling like I'm paying a premium for antiquated products now.

I currently have more Orange stuff than ever, and have to say that I'm pleased with the majority of what I've bought in the last year or so. I have an older Lyman vibratory tumbler that has more hours on it than I imagined possible when I purchased it to replace a Green one that died after about four years.

From bleacher type loading trays to powder measures and electric case prep I'm pleasantly surprised with the apparent value received from today's Lyman.

I didn't think I'd ever post this about Lyman products. If you're looking at replacing older worn equipment or just starting, don't do as I have in the past and overlook the newer stuff Lyman now markets.

With all things please,

SHOP AROUND BEFORE ORDERING FROM ANYWHERE NOW

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think all that I have right now are a .38SPL crimp die that is fine and a powder measure...I don't use or need...gray color I think..with the little hammer thing. I have used their lube sizer and don't really need to again. I do have a few of their case prep tool right now and they are as good as any I guess.
I have a complete line catalog on the corner of my desk here:
Lyman
Mark 7
Pachmayr
TacStar
A-Zoom
Trius Traps
Butch's

BriarPatch99

Like Chuckdog ...I've had a Lyman T-Mag press(not the 2) ..... it just never did anything that the Bonanza CoAx press I went to from the RCBS Rockchucker(first press) ... did. I did have a Pacific C type for a short time along with several others ...
I am down to the CoAx now ....and my 600 Jr.

I have many sets of Lyman/Pacific dies and they work as good as any other ....

I really like the Lyman carbide expander ball and stem for the RCBS dies ...

GregoryB.

That little Lyman tool kills my wrist. Too many surgeries. It does a good job but I want the electric Frankfort Arsenol prep station.

Ray357

AWOL
With the recent thread about the Lyman warranty on the broken turret bolt, it put me to thinking about my view on Lyman products.

I didn't want to take the earlier thread off track, so here we are.

Most folks like what they're familiar with. If you start with a Rock Chucker, then of course they're the best.

The same goes for the Orange/Grey, different shades of Green, Red, and Blue.

Over the years there's not many major brands that I haven't tried both press and die/accessory wise.

Lyman has been one of those brands that I've not been able to warm up to.

I've sold or traded off every Lyman press I've owned. Mostly due to the excessive camming at the top of the stroke. For me, it simply makes die setup more tedious than necessary. There's also been something missing about their products?

I've used a lot of different brands of accessories. Tried them at friends benches, and wasted a lot of money at my own. The vast majority of accessories I've used most and owned the longest are Green. Vast majority of my presses are Red.

I have Lyman dies in various calibers that have worked flawlessly for years. Both new and several used when a friend sold off his loading equipment.

With my Green stuff being old and well used and the market the way it is today, I've been looking at the Lyman products again.

I have more presses than I can feed, so no need looking at those. For me their dies are still the same. Not my favorite, but still get the job done.

It's their accessories that I've used that seemed to have been improved/modernized/priced more competitively than in years past. I'm not feeling like I'm paying a premium for antiquated products now.

I currently have more Orange stuff than ever, and have to say that I'm pleased with the majority of what I've bought in the last year or so. I have an older Lyman vibratory tumbler that has more hours on it than I imagined possible when I purchased it to replace a Green one that died after about four years.

From bleacher type loading trays to powder measures and electric case prep I'm pleasantly surprised with the apparent value received from today's Lyman.

I didn't think I'd ever post this about Lyman products. If you're looking at replacing older worn equipment or just starting, don't do as I have in the past and overlook the newer stuff Lyman now markets.

With all things please,

SHOP AROUND BEFORE ORDERING FROM ANYWHERE NOW
Quality wise, I put Lyman and RCBS on equal footing. Hornady right there with them. Lee lagging a bit behind. My favorite stuff is Forster and Redding. The old Orange Crusher press is my all time favorite.

trial&error

That little Lyman tool kills my wrist. Too many surgeries. It does a good job but I want the electric Frankfort Arsenol prep station.

I've only done about a hundred through the frankford prep station. It's much faster and easier once setup. I was removing military crimps by hand and found out they sell a bit that screws right into the prep station. Needless to say looking forward to using it.

chuckdog

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/lyman-case-prep-xpress

I bought this one a few months back to replace a worn out RCBS model.

Cabela's had the best price when I looked before. It's quieter and has more torque than the old RCBS ever was/did. It also included several extra accessories. So far this has been a very good example of value from Lyman.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My buddy has one of those Lyman case prep stations. I am not that fond of it myself and the only thing he really uses it for is deburring necks. I can do that on my drill press or drill with this...tool

chuckdog

My buddy has one of those Lyman case prep stations. I am not that fond of it myself and the only thing he really uses it for is deburring necks. I can do that on my drill press or drill with this...tool

My main use is opening/cleaning primer pockets.

I have the RCBS three way cutter on my case trimmer for several calibers that does most of the work.