Madison County2017

Kootie

11/17 - 11/18
We continue to see deer movement and signs of the rut....just haven't seen a mature deer from our stands yet.
We had a bumper crop of acorns this year and they are still feeding on them. Food plots are doing well and are being visited thru the night as usual. Looking forward this weekend with family at camp.

ssmith

Had a spike, doe, and a shooter buck this am Monday. My friends grandson was hunting a stand below me. Since I limited out sat had to let buck go Hoped it would head on to friends grandsons stand. Soon heard three shots and he got the nice 8 pt. His biggest ever. One excited young man.Memories made

Lshaw97

Had a gaint 10 pointer, looked to be 4 and a half year old.
He was Chasing a doe at 200 yards, couldn’t get him to stop, gonna keep going as much as I can starting tomorrow afternoon

Lshaw97

Seen two bucks this morning, a mature buck and a yearling. Not light enough to see what headgear the mature deer had going on. I have a 3 yrold big six running around and don’t wanna shot it!

Esau

I'm giving it another go in Madison Co. this weekend. It has been getting a bit tougher, but we may have a little second rut action, what do you folks think?

Esau

Well I hunted hard all weekend and saw very few deer. I sat in the sleet/rain/snow Saturday and saw nothing. Then the cold Sunday morning and saw nothing then Sunday afternoon I began to see deer. It warmed up Monday and Monday afternoon there were deer everywhere. I guess our deer are not accustomed to the weather and moved much better after it warmed up some. I have not seen one I want to take yet, but there is still plenty of time. I had a great time just being out this weekend. I saw a lot of ducks and other birds and a fox. I watched a heron catch some small fish.

jbird1

Well I hunted hard all weekend and saw very few deer. I sat in the sleet/rain/snow Saturday and saw nothing. Then the cold Sunday morning and saw nothing then Sunday afternoon I began to see deer. It warmed up Monday and Monday afternoon there were deer everywhere. I guess our deer are not accustomed to the weather and moved much better after it warmed up some. I have not seen one I want to take yet, but there is still plenty of time. I had a great time just being out this weekend. I saw a lot of ducks and other birds and a fox. I watched a heron catch some small fish.

That's a great hunt!

Kootie

Past weekend was slow for us as well. No deer seen Friday evening or Saturday morning....saw a few Saturday evening.

Luke11

Hello all. Looking to bring my 8 year old up who has really never been hunting yet. Been reading your deer report here and just wondering if you have any suggestions in hall or Jackson county or updates here in this county! Thanks

Kootie

Luke: Hunting late season is tough....update from Madison County - Hunted 12/15 - 16
2 hunters only saw three deer. Earlier in season would have yielded 12+
Trail cams showed movement around 2nd week of December and I assume that was last does getting bred. Recent cams show most deer feeding at night in food plots.

But you never know...take that 8 year old and make some memories.

Luke11

Do appreciate the info. I am getting the time off so will definitely take the opportunity to hunt still. Was just looking around for good paces to hunt. Hit up the mountain - cohutta/ blue ridge area few months ago. That is all part of the lessons you learn hunting, not going to see something every Time!

Luke11

Another dumb question maybe. Trying to find maps online about the area and where to hunt, suggestions?

ssmith

Hunted this am. Five does one snuck in behind me and blew the alarm as I had to turn around behind me to shoot. Maybe get to go Wednesday am to end season. Been a good year. Now time to get ready for fishing

ssmith

This am saw five does and then two does Seemed skittish. Then shot coyote. Maybe the problem. Well, one less problem!

Kootie

Way to go ssmith....shoot all the yotes you see.

I've not hunted for several weeks and probably cant this weekend. Good year overall and look forward to next season.

Lshaw97

Shot a coyote the last afternoon on the 14th, he ran across the property line with blood everywhere. He is probably dead just can’t confirm it. Time to put out some traps!