Magnum Class Spotted Bass From Lanier Today w/pic

Scout'nStripers

Even a blind squirrel gets a acorn now and then. These spots in the magnum range can get pretty feisty. One of my biggest this year from a secondary point in the creek. Great fight and a lot of fun.20191107134004(1).jpg

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

Niiiiiiice.

LittleDrummerBoy

Very nice. You definitely got the skills for catching da big ones. The most memorable comment of 2019 was when a guest on my boat noted, "I think you've found the nursery" after our 4th or 5th dink that day.

Scout'nStripers

Very nice. You definitely got the skills for catching da big ones. The most memorable comment of 2019 was when a guest on my boat noted, "I think you've found the nursery" after our 4th or 5th dink that day.
Thanks LDB. It helps to have a good memory of where I've caught big fish in the past this time of year and on what bait I was using. I only had 3 bites today and the other two were this size.20191107134130(1).jpg

Scout'nStripers

There's actually a 2lb difference between those 2 fish.

Josh B

I see your jacket changed a little. That must be your favorite pose.? You held the fish exactly in the same position in front of your face.

Scout'nStripers

I see your jacket changed a little. That must be your favorite pose.? You held the fish exactly in the same position in front of your face.
That my signature pose when I'm by myself. I set my camera on the back seat to take the pictures.

Scout'nStripers

That is a pig there Jim! Hope to get out this weekend not sure what weather will do to the fishing?
I'm fishing a tournament Sunday and it looks like Saturday and Sunday is going to be a little cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if we started catching them in the ditches with little spoons soon.

LittleDrummerBoy

I'm fishing a tournament Sunday and it looks like Saturday and Sunday is going to be a little cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if we started catching them in the ditches with little spoons soon.

You are very kind with your specific information. Can you help me understand what you mean by "ditches"?

Scout'nStripers

You are very kind with your specific information. Can you help me understand what you mean by "ditches"?
Yes, on Lanier in the cooler part of the winter a large population of bass will migrate into ditches which is really no more than a flooded valley between 2 hills in the creeks that turn into pockets or bays. Generally a ditch is the deepest part of a pocket or cove. The bass tend to hang out in deeper valleys from 25 to 60 feet. They congregate in these areas in big numbers and you'll see us catch 20-30-40 in a day dropping small 1/2-3/4 ounce spoons in a vertical presentation for these fish.

TroyBoy30

a visual may help? here are some shots from ditch fishing. Most of my best ones are actually creek channels, not technically ditches. A real ditch IMO would be a run off area or maybe an old culvert beside an old road.

snp1124173542_zpsx48tx8rx.jpg

snp1124171814_zpsz8zedrpb.jpg

snp1124175419_zpse7jdbnxb.jpg

heres a 3d view from garmin that was awesome

20NOV15_1126_00_zpskpvzu5oc.png