Maine Bear Hunting

wildcats

Has anyone traveled to Maine for bear hunting?
I am looking for references. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Professor

Not yet but I have been invited and have done a good bit of research. Despite the high density of bears it seems the general belief in Maine is that you wont find one without baiting, trapping, or running a pack of hounds. I will have to see it to understand and believe it. They said the same thing in Idaho but we found fresh scat there just like in Georgia. Are you looking for a guided hunt or a DIY?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
There is someone on here that has been to Maine several times with success but I don't recall his username. Try a search.

NCMTNHunter

My crew used to run dogs for Hunt Bear Lane in Wesley. It’s been over 10 years since any of us have been but they used to kill a lot of bear.

NCMTNHunter

I should have added that they do stand hunts as well as hound hunts. Actually more so. Best I remember they only took two or three hound clients per week and always had a good many stand hunters.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Not yet but I have been invited and have done a good bit of research. Despite the high density of bears it seems the general belief in Maine is that you wont find one without baiting, trapping, or running a pack of hounds. I will have to see it to understand and believe it. They said the same thing in Idaho but we found fresh scat there just like in Georgia. Are you looking for a guided hunt or a DIY?
THats exactly why I DO want to go to Maine on a bear hunt. If it’s not being ran by dogs, baited or trapped i don’t want to fool with it.

NCMTNHunter

I would think in the parts of Maine where there are big woods you could probably hunt without bait or dogs. Where we hunted it was pulp wood country. Everything got cut every 10 years or so. There wasn’t a tree over 8 or 9 inches in diameter. It was so thick you had to push your way through it to get to the dogs. We would flush 20-30 grouse per day and never put eyes on one unless it was standing in the gravel road. They made little clearings for the bait sites and everything else was a grind. If someone had only been to this part of the state I can see how they could come to that conclusion.