Maine moose camp 2020 part 3 Moose drag

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Idk if this video will work. If it does it's just a short clip I wanted to take of one of the ways to get moose to the road. But I had to put phone down and help out

wvdawg

Staff member
That worked well!

snuffy

GREAT story and pictures!

Thanks for taking time to shar them. Much enjoyed!

bany

What a great hunt and gathering y’all had! Sure beats Disney!! Congratulations on the bull and birds with the youngsters! Thanks for taking us along.

deers2ward

I have never had moose... what would you compare it to, both in toughness as well as taste?

Have had caribou, elk, sheep, deer, etc.....I'm guessing its somewhere between beef and elk?

sea trout

I have never had moose... what would you compare it to, both in toughness as well as taste?

Have had caribou, elk, sheep, deer, etc.....I'm guessing its somewhere between beef and elk?
Moose is my favorite of all the antlered game I have ever had

If you've had bison before I think moose meat is real close to bison meat. If you've had all natural grass fed beef it kinda compares to that too.
Moose has great flavor and is softer than beef.
Like anything else it has a lot to do with where it lives and what it eats.
In 2005 we had a tag for zone 2 and killed a 5 year old bull on a clover farm. That meat was like butter and delicious! In 2018 we had a tag for zone 1 and killed a 6yr old bull in the north Maine woods. He was delicious but a far cry from the clover farm bull.
The 2020 bull in this post was also killed in zone 1, the north Maine woods. We don't know age yet, (biologist pulls a tooth at check station and that info is available late winter), but we guess this guy to be 2 or 3 years old. And he is delicious but still the clover farm bull from 05 has been the best!
Everyone I've seen try moose for the 1st time loves it! But the biggest surprise reaction I always see is how soft it is!!

Uptonongood

In Alberta that’s know as an MRT, Moose Recovery Team. Folks down this way should think what it’s like to recover an animal the size of a horse. It’s vital that your MRT has at least one experienced member to direct the operation!?

sea trout

In Alberta that’s know as an MRT, Moose Recovery Team. Folks down this way should think what it’s like to recover an animal the size of a horse. It’s vital that your MRT has at least one experienced member to direct the operation!?

Yes perfect!! Ya gotta have a good team!
This little bull was 1/4 mile in. We wanted to take him apart and pack him out.
But my 12 yr old nephew who shot him wanted to bring him whole to the check station so he could get its weight and show off to the crowd.
So it took 3 fully charged batteries and over 4 hours to yard his moose to the loggin road! But we got it done!!
Then it warmed up the next couple of days and we had to take him apart at camp anyway. So my nephew didn't get the weight of him at check station. Turns out the check station wasn't letting spectators in this time because of covid so he wasn't able to show off anyway.
Are you in Alberta? I have a cousin who moved out there from New Brunswick years back with her husband and his job. She ended up teaching french at a school in Alberta. I've never been out that way...... not yet!

Uptonongood

Yes perfect!! Ya gotta have a good team!
This little bull was 1/4 mile in. We wanted to take him apart and pack him out.
But my 12 yr old nephew who shot him wanted to bring him whole to the check station so he could get its weight and show off to the crowd.
So it took 3 fully charged batteries and over 4 hours to yard his moose to the loggin road! But we got it done!!
Then it warmed up the next couple of days and we had to take him apart at camp anyway. So my nephew didn't get the weight of him at check station. Turns out the check station wasn't letting spectators in this time because of covid so he wasn't able to show off anyway.
Are you in Alberta? I have a cousin who moved out there from New Brunswick years back with her husband and his job. She ended up teaching french at a school in Alberta. I've never been out that way...... not yet!

I hunted moose in Alberta twice while living in Washington State. Took two bulls, had a great experience, the MRT had an ATV rigged for hauling and the guide was a professional butcher in his regular life. The MRT also had a truck with a winch mounted behind the cab strictly for hauling up and loading moose and those huge deer they have up there. Those folks really know what they’re doing.