Making topwater plugs with kids

Longhunter89

Been a long busy weekend. Finally got in the shop Sunday afternoon and turned a few top water plugs on the lathe and let my youngins paint them. First time I ever tried to turn lures. Had to raid my wife's craft paint supply. Dont know how well they will run in the water but the kids sure had fun painting them
20220605_171908.jpg20220605_171916.jpg20220605_172039.jpg20220605_185957.jpg20220605_185943.jpg20220605_190028.jpg

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Like the froggy chugger. Should wear out pond bass just fine.
What kind of wood you using?

Longhunter89

That looks like a fun project. I'll have to give that a try.
The hardest part to work on was the poppers mouth. I really needed a ball file I can chuck up in lathe to make the concave part. I didn't have one so I used a very small chisel and hollowed it out the best I could.

Anvil Head

The hardest part to work on was the poppers mouth. I really needed a ball file I can chuck up in lathe to make the concave part. I didn't have one so I used a very small chisel and hollowed it out the best I could.
All it has to do is "slurp and burp" - fish don't care if it's not perfect.

Mars

I think I have one of those but finding it in my mess of a shop is another issue.

Anvil Head

Yeah Buddy! I'd take a dozen of those those big longears over bass any day.
Good on them both (and You for sharing talent with them and pics with us).