Management two weeks notice

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
It surprises me that employers treat folks the way y'all are describing in this job market. I've had 2 guys quit in the last couple weeks with no notice and I take care of my employees.

My dad worked for an outfit that was notorious for transferring people they wanted to quit. one guy came in on a monday and was asked why he was there. when he asked what they meant they told him he had been transferred to a sister plant in another state and his start date there was today!! (this was in the 70's/80's). They conveniently wouldn't tell people they had been transferred. They did this kind of thing to several people.
but yeah they demanded a 2 week notice if you quit.

The only reason they kept employees was they paid really well for the area and there weren't many other options.
anyway, A guy who worked there came in one day and turned in his two week notice. He had been the only one that had done a very specific job that for the most part the entire plant depended on to keep it running. He has been doing this job alone for about 25 years. So he turns in his two week notice and tells them they need to get someone to let him train for the next 2 weeks so his job can be done. His boss's reply was to chuckle and say "youre not going to quit" and didn't assign anyone to him to learn his job.

Fast forward two weeks, he clocks out, hands his stuff to his boss and says "see you". His boss asks whats going on, he replied "I turned in my 2 week notice 2 weeks ago I'm gone". THe boss about freaked out and begged him to stay and train someone, he basically told him to jam it and walked out. LOL

It surprises me that employers treat folks the way y'all are describing in this job market. I've had 2 guys quit in the last couple weeks with no notice and I take care of my employees.
how is paying some one for 2 weeks without them working treating an employee badly? I guess I am missing something here.

I have let some folks go after they turned in their notice, but paid them thru their notice time. It was because there was more potential harm to the company than potential good for the company. Sometimes it doesn't pay to have a disgruntled employee hanging around your business.

bassboy1

I work with an unusual bunch to say the least. Anyone who is not scared and works with radiation is a little out of their mind, in most peoples opinion. Not ours.. :bounce:

I have a co-worker in Boston who is a Marine vet and is very conservative as is most of his family. His nephew is a Breitbart reporter that I wont mention his name.

He has an uncle that is a retired Boston FD employee but also retired from one of the construction companies that had one of the bigger contracts on the Big Dig. He was a paid temporary employee as a 'no show'. He retired from the construction company with a pension after the job went 20 years over plan and NEVER stepped foot on the job. I kid you not.
On the one hand, I don't condone stealing/cheating the system, but I can't help but have a little admiration to those who have the ingenuity or guts to pull off something like that.

LTZ25

My dad worked for an outfit that was notorious for transferring people they wanted to quit. one guy came in on a monday and was asked why he was there. when he asked what they meant they told him he had been transferred to a sister plant in another state and his start date there was today!! (this was in the 70's/80's). They conveniently wouldn't tell people they had been transferred. They did this kind of thing to several people.
but yeah they demanded a 2 week notice if you quit.

The only reason they kept employees was they paid really well for the area and there weren't many other options.
anyway, A guy who worked there came in one day and turned in his two week notice. He had been the only one that had done a very specific job that for the most part the entire plant depended on to keep it running. He has been doing this job alone for about 25 years. So he turns in his two week notice and tells them they need to get someone to let him train for the next 2 weeks so his job can be done. His boss's reply was to chuckle and say "youre not going to quit" and didn't assign anyone to him to learn his job.

Fast forward two weeks, he clocks out, hands his stuff to his boss and says "see you". His boss asks whats going on, he replied "I turned in my 2 week notice 2 weeks ago I'm gone". THe boss about freaked out and begged him to stay and train someone, he basically told him to jam it and walked out. LOL
Most places don't do that underhanded stuff to guys anymore , most of the bosses/owners have watched the nightly news .

Quepos1

Lot of horror stories here but like most things people are quick to post a bad experience while not so much wit a good one. This applies to retail experiences, meals, cars, etc as well as employment.

As a very senior corporate person (senior VP of 25K employee corp) my advice is to act in a professional manner regardless of the consequences. You will know you acted professionally and with integrity and if you stay within the same industry others will know it and respect you for it.

We treat every employee/situation individually in that some are allowed to work their notice and leave on good terms. Some employees who have perhaps been problematic but not to the point of discharged are paid their salary through the termination date and asked to leave. Many long term middle and upper management will give 6 months or more notice prior to retirement, I myself have informed the CEO I plan to retire in June 2020 and am leading the search for my replacement

Geno67

I have worked out a one month notice each time I have left a job. Small, family owned businesses do have some perks. If I worked for a corporation I would be prepared to leave (just in case) before I turned in a notice.

Quepos1

The question is, when one gives notice and are told to leave immediately are they paid through their resignation date. In most states if the employee is paid through the effective resignation date they are determined to have quit. Conversely, it the employee is told to leave immediately and is not compensated through the effective date they are considered to have been fired. This does vary by state and federal law does not address it.