Mathews switchback

mudcreek

A friend gave me a 2005 vintage bow. The limbs range from 70-60. I need somewhere around 40-45. The adjusting bolts won't allow it to go that low. Can I use longer bolts? Is there a bow shop that can fix this problem?

earlthegoat2

Matthews will probably sell you lighter limbs since they offer support for their old models. I don’t know if they go that low on the Switchback or not. Bow shop will have to install them though.

Might as well get new strings too.

Tight Lines

A friend gave me a 2005 vintage bow. The limbs range from 70-60. I need somewhere around 40-45. The adjusting bolts won't allow it to go that low. Can I use longer bolts? Is there a bow shop that can fix this problem?
First if you are in Milledgeville you should find a good bow shop that sells Matthews. There is one called The Archery Learning Center that isn't too far...but sure there are closer ones.

I have a Switchback XT. Honestly, it is a great bow, and still to this day one of the best.

However, that bow you have is old now, and not your size/weight. Depending on how much it's been shot, it will need limbs and strings, possibly cams for draw length, and a complete tune up...that's several hundred bucks at a decent shop...you'd be better off buying an entry level bow than trying to get it in SAFE shooting shape for you and your draw weight and draw length (have to have both right) IMHO.

Last edited:

JROESEL

I’ll never sell that bow, I keep it as a spare to a newer Mathews, I know I can pull it out of the box and bust knocks in the first couple shots, my switchback has taken a lot of whitetails, and it’s kinda sentimental now ;)

Tight Lines

I’ll never sell that bow, I keep it as a spare to a newer Mathews, I know I can pull it out of the box and bust knocks in the first couple shots, my switchback has taken a lot of whitetails, and it’s kinda sentimental now ;)
My XT is my backup bow...

alwayslookin

One of the smoothest bows I've ever shot. At 60 lbs, feels more like 50 lbs.

There's a guy here that still hunts with his - see the 2022 hunting rigs thread in the bowhunting section.

Hopefully you can get new limbs for it cuz it's a tack driver.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Still have my '05 Switchback and it will shoot with any new bow out there.

The learning curve on tuning it was pretty big.
String and cable twisting was needed get the lean right and cam timed.
One of the first bows to come out that "cam lean" had to be tuned to get good arrow flight.

The Cobra cam was an innovation for the time.

Hillbilly stalker

Still have my '05 Switchback and it will shoot with any new bow out there.

The learning curve on tuning it was pretty big.
String and cable twisting was needed get the lean right and cam timed.
One of the first bows to come out that "cam lean" had to be tuned to get good arrow flight.

The Cobra cam was an innovation for the time.
The Drenalin had a similar problem, it was a shooter too.