Matt Chandler

brutally honest

“The pastor of a prominent evangelical megachurch near Dallas abruptly announced an indefinite leave of absence on Sunday, effective immediately, because of an online relationship he had with a woman who is not his wife.”

https://dnyuz.com/2022/08/29/promin...rfully-steps-aside-after-unwise-relationship/

Sad to hear. Hopefully, his family and church can recover and move forward.

Stories like this are reminders that the internet can be a dangerous place. We all have to be on guard against Satan’s snares.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
“The pastor of a prominent evangelical megachurch near Dallas abruptly announced an indefinite leave of absence on Sunday, effective immediately, because of an online relationship he had with a woman who is not his wife.”

https://dnyuz.com/2022/08/29/promin...rfully-steps-aside-after-unwise-relationship/

Sad to hear. Hopefully, his family and church can recover and move forward.

Stories like this are reminders that the internet can be a dangerous place. We all have to be on guard against Satan’s snares.

The most dangerous place is the selfish/self-serving heart. It can destroy a man before he even recognizes it

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
He should have known better. She should have known better too. They both knew what they were doing.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Make sure you prepare ahead of time by the Holy Spirit so that you don’t get devoured!

1 Peter 5:8
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Make sure you prepare ahead of time by the Holy Spirit so that you don’t get devoured!

1 Peter 5:8
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Yep, I know that Pastor's are supposed to be available for their flock 24/7 but sometimes I think helping some folks should be kept to business hours and with other people around. Maybe it's wrong to feel like this, but I really do.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Yep, I know that Pastor's are supposed to be available for their flock 24/7 but sometimes I think helping some folks should be kept to business hours and with other people around. Maybe it's wrong to feel like this, but I really do.
Well I’m not a pastor but I know my limitations. My wife is always with me when I’m around others and I make sure I’m accountable to her!

SemperFiDawg

He should have known better. She should have known better too. They both knew what they were doing.

No doubt, but each of us is faced with the same decision over and over every day: God's will or my will. How do you guys deal with that truth? What do you do personally to guard against it?

SemperFiDawg

Well I’m not a pastor but I know my limitations. My wife is always with me when I’m around others and I make sure I’m accountable to her!

Very wise.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
No doubt, but each of us is faced with the same decision over and over every day: God's will or my will. How do you guys deal with that truth? What do you do personally to guard against it?
In this case, I would say avoid temptation by not putting yourself in that position.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I try to keep the Lord in my heart and a song of faith in my mouth. The devil doesn’t care for either one.

SemperFiDawg

I’ve found out that if I don’t hit my knees every morning and commit to His will I will be driven to them by the results of my will.

brutally honest

I try to keep the Lord in my heart and a song of faith in my mouth. The devil doesn’t care for either one.

One of my favorite strategies is to remind him what Jesus said about him.

I read about an early Christian whose response to any temptation was the same:

"Thank you, Satan, for reminding me to pray and thank Jesus for what He did for me."

gordon 2

Sounds like he's equally shocked by what his overseers did and were willing to do ( the extent) to confront him: like the audit. I am also. It sounds puritanical to me but I don't know all the details. It's a modern day Scarlet Letter for some enterprising script writer.

I wonder if he will come back from sabbatical leave as a Doctoral candidate from some outstanding university and to what organization he will come back to? Will it be his nip in the bud brothers and sisters? Time will tell.

brutally honest

Sounds like he's equally shocked by what his overseers did and were willing to do ( the extent) to confront him: like the audit.

The law firm specializes in issues like this:

“We provide nuanced and discerning counsel to employers on a variety of sensitive matters, including progressive discipline and terminations, negotiation of severance/separation pay, executive performance management, and addressing claims of discrimination and harassment, retaliation, whistleblowing, and ethical breaches. …”

https://www.castanedaheidelman.com/practice-areas-compliance

SemperFiDawg

I had great admiration for Ravi Zacharias. I appreciated his contributions to apologetics. What came to light after he died shocked me, but it was handled as well as I've ever witnessed something like this be handled. His daughter, Naomi ordered an independent investigation and made ALL of it's findings public. She then dissolved RZIM. No one is above temptation, because no one is above being selfish and self-serving. Those in leadership have to hold themselves to a higher standard and thus institute measures to insure their character is beyond reproach. Billy Graham was one of those who held to that. I don't know of any others. I'm sure they are some, but there are many that aren't and we continually see them fall like dominos.

I highly doubt this is all there is to the Chandler story. The church will not follow in Naomi Zachariah's model. They will circle the wagons and do damage control until it's blown over.

Last edited:

gordon 2

I listened to a interview a while back with the Saddleback guy. He said he would not stop for a stranded women on the road or street if alone. He would call for someone to come and help her, but he would not stop alone.

Something about this behavior is societal perhaps and more than biblical. People ( ministers and ministries) are being set up to be sued in some cases and hence the scriptural ordinances are used to try to prevent this possible great damage.??? Once the elders are in the know of a slight hint of a potential law suit down the road they are also candidates for the enterprising "law suits".