Maybe a perfect broadhead?

Todd Cook

I've shot various heads over the years; magnus, ace, snuffers, etc. All are excellent heads, and they've all worked good. Different ones require different sharpening methods, but I've been able to get happy with them.

This past weekend at the Appling event I stopped by Big Jim's tent and looked around at some heads. Didn't really need any, but I've got a bear hunt coming up and wanted to try something new. So I picked up a pack of Grizzly 160's for my fir arrows.

Now I've got some of the old Grizzly's but these were obviously different. The grind on these heads was really nice right out of the pack. I noticed you could lay the head right down on a stone and the angle matched. Hmmm, I thought. I bet you could let the head ride on the ferrule and true the edge up a little bit with a diamond stone.

So I worked on the edge for 2 or 3 minutes on a coarse diamond, and then flipped the stone over and used the fine for a minute to clean up the marks. Then I layed the back flat on the fine stone and just lapped the flat edge a little. It looked sharp and it dug into my nail, so I though lets see if it will shave. I layed it on my arm and it went through the hair like a straight razor. I mean BAD sharp. Probably 4 minutes from the box.

I was truly impressed with the steel in this head. Can't wait to run it through some fur. If you have any sharpening problems, you might want to try these.

robert carter

I killed afew critters with the 140? green Grizzly and liked them. I got a pack of the 200 grain grizzly heads and liked them as well. They are a little wider than the other grizzly heads.
The single bevel heads are much easier for me to sharpen. I really like the Zwickey no mercy single bevel. Happy Birthday by the way old dude!.RC

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but any broadhead you chose needs to be as sharp as you can get it. A well made head not sharpened properly is no better than a cheaper made broad head not sharpened correctly. Some broad heads are easier to sharpen than others. For some that is the broad head to use. BUT no matter how sharp you can get it, the arrow still needs to be able to fly true to the spot.
I’ve killed plenty of animals with a grizzly but they were shaving sharp as any head I choose to use.

Todd Cook

Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but any broadhead you chose needs to be as sharp as you can get it. A well made head not sharpened properly is no better than a cheaper made broad head not sharpened correctly. Some broad heads are easier to sharpen than others. For some that is the broad head to use. BUT no matter how sharp you can get it, the arrow still needs to be able to fly true to the spot.
I’ve killed plenty of animals with a grizzly but they were shaving sharp as any head I choose to use.

Rain on anyones parade? I certainly wasn't suggesting hunting with dull broadheads. I just was saying I like the quality of these.

chrisharper

Good stuff, Todd. I recently bought some VPA 2-blades and had a bit of a time getting them sharp. Thanks to Mr. David Waldrop and Lil' Shaver, I ain't gotta worry about that anymore.