Mayo in cornbread?

sparky

Wife got a cornbread recipe from a friend that includes a heaping tablespoon of Kraft real mayo. She said it was her grandmothers recipe and had to be Kraft mayo and White Lily buttermilk cornmeal with the usual Crisco shortening and buttermilk. I have to say, it is the best cornbread I've ever eaten. Anybody else use mayo?
I have used it to replace eggs and oil,couldn't tell any difference

ky55

Here ya go :)

1.75 cup of white lily buttermilk cornmeal
.25 cup white lily self rising flour
.25 cup crisco shortening
1.5 cup buttermilk
1 heaping tablespoon Kraft real mayonnaise
1 egg
1 shot cold water

Preheat oven to 425
Add 1 or 2 tablespoons shortening to 10 inch cast iron skillet and heat in oven for 5 minutes. Mix ingredients pour into hot skillet and cook for 25 minutes.

Just about right there with you…
White Lily mix, no extra flour, bacon grease instead of Crisco, 2 eggs in a full pan…one in a small skillet, buttermilk to consistently, 435 degrees for 18 minutes and then broil for a couple more to brown the top.

ky55

Just about right there with you…
White Lily mix, no extra flour, bacon grease instead of Crisco, 2 eggs in a full pan…one in a small skillet, buttermilk to consistency, 435 degrees for 18 minutes and then broil for a couple more to brown the top.

ky55

Love me some Dukes. Might have to try it in cornbread next time.

I like to add about 1/2 can of cream corn in my corn bread. Final product is more moist...kind of a cake like consistency.

Yes,
I’ll try the Mayo thing sometime, and it’ll definitely be Duke’s!!
I’ve done the cream-style corn thing and it is great!
Just needs a couple more minutes than my usual recipe to get done enough.

common man

wanted to give another tip on cornbread when your preheating the oven stick your cast iron skillet in there with a little lard and butter, then pull that cast iron out when the lard and butter are melted, then pour your batter in there then cook. Slap yo mama.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Speaking of mayo...

for you air fryer fans. Roll your chicken breasts or poke chops in mayo and then coat in whatever type of breading you want ( I like poke rinds) and drop em in the fryer. Seriously good