MB550 Adjustments

Mike81

I have read the sticky above, but have a question. I am new to trapping and ordered a starter kit of mb550’s. I am only concerned with catching coyotes. Is the tension out of the box not good enough to catch coyotes? I guess I am concerned of messing up the trap. If you guys think its a must I will do what ever.

Doug B.

When I first bought my MB 550s I too had heard that they were ready right out of the box. So I did my trap prep and set them. Yes they will work right out of the box! I trapped with mine a whole season without any adjustments and caught several coyotes with all 12 of my new MB 550s.
If I do get new ones now I check them for pan tension, pan level, and general functioning. I make minor tweaks to them but to say it is absolutely necessary I can't.

They are great traps. I don't think you will be disappointed any.

Mike81

When I first bought my MB 550s I too had heard that they were ready right out of the box. So I did my trap prep and set them. Yes they will work right out of the box! I trapped with mine a whole season without any adjustments and caught several coyotes with all 12 of my new MB 550s.
If I do get new ones now I check them for pan tension, pan level, and general functioning. I make minor tweaks to them but to say it is absolutely necessary I can't.

They are great traps. I don't think you will be disappointed any.
I actually went back and looked at the ones I bought after seeing the sticky, the MB550RC two coil say 2,5-3 pan tension if I am reading that correctly.

Doug B.

I actually went back and looked at the ones I bought after seeing the sticky, the MB550RC two coil say 2,5-3 pan tension if I am reading that correctly.
Yes, and that's the pan tension I like to run for coyotes. You will still catch coons and possums and even skunks but you will get good full foot catches on coyotes.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My 550s, (18 total) were mostly good to go from the get go. Pans set level, night latches all crisp and clean.

I read the pinned post about adjusting them, but decided to run them as issued rather than mess with them to start off with, and maybe booger one up.

The first six traps I used were cheapo Dukes, loaned to me brand new by a buddy, and they ALL needed some messing with to set level pans, tension, etc.

Don't get too crazy worrying about the MB's, they will work as issued.

Can't wait to see you snag one!

fatback

Agreed, i have never had to adjust a MB 550 or 450. I use both and catch everything with both. Also use MB 750 on drowning cables for beaver and those work great as well

Ol' Gobblero

Most MB550’s are ready to go out of the box. But every now and then some will not be. They normally have a short, crisp dog face. But not always. A long face on the dog will allow too much pan creep. Pan creep may not be an issue for some people, but for me it is. I have had animal refusals because of pan creep. I believe it leads to dug up traps from coons and foxes. They feel the trap creep and jerk their foot away. At a bare minimum you should check the pan creep before setting traps. I worry about creep more that pan level.