McIntyre Spring—Rising from the Withlacoochee River bottom in Brooks County.

Artfuldodger

What may appear a simple fount issuing from the river bottom is
actually a portal to the complex underground world of the Floridan aquifer which provides drinking water for much South Georgia and
North Florida. Since the 1970s, scuba divers, who have wriggled through the entrance to this spring some 15 feet below the surface,
have mapped 4,601 feet of underwater passages with the longest passage descending to a depth of 180 feet below the surface of the
river. Diver Guy Bryant and companions, who mapped the spring in 1991, spent more than four hours in the cave.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The Withlacoochee, Aucilla, Ochlocknee, Wacissa, St Marks, Spring Creek, and countless other waterways that are part of The Forgotten Coast are a treasure. All are windows into the past.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I salute them.
Cave diving is one of the most dangerous things you can do on this earth.

Artfuldodger

The Withlacoochee, Aucilla, Ochlocknee, Wacissa, St Marks, Spring Creek, and countless other waterways that are part of The Forgotten Coast are a treasure. All are windows into the past.
I wish I could have canoed down Spring Creek when I could have. Lots of history, geology, and anthropology in those parts.

Artfuldodger

I know there are lots of springs in that area, just one of many that I've never read about. I've always been fascinated by springs ever since finding a small one in the woods as a kid.

buckpasser

I’m fortunate enough to have briefly explored a huge waterfall cave that takes in a portion of the river around 50 yards out of the channel. A friend of mine found it while a member of a hunting club on Langdale land. He was wade fishing a remote portion at a time of low water level when he realized current was actually flowing the wrong way. I’ve reserved it’s location in my mind in case I need to get rid of someone, err, I mean something.

Mars

I've been in the "Ballroom" at Ginnie Springs and that was enough cave diving for me!
divesite_706_7414.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I wish I could have canoed down Spring Creek when I could have. Lots of history, geology, and anthropology in those parts.

Which Spring Creek are you talking about?

Artfuldodger

Which Spring Creek are you talking about?
I can't remember it was Southwest of Albany, I had just bought a canoe and folks recommended it. Seems like the land owner owned both sides and claimed it as theirs. Would have been in the nineties. I remember when this happened it was on WALB and they showed some footage of the creek and it had real clear water. Lots of people upset about it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can't remember it was Southwest of Albany, I had just bought a canoe and folks recommended it. Seems like the land owner owned both sides and claimed it as theirs. Would have been in the nineties. I remember when this happened it was on WALB and they showed some footage of the creek and it had real clear water. Lots of people upset about it.

That would be the one that runs through the edge of Damascus and Colquitt then runs into Lake Seminole. The other Spring Creek is in the Panhandle and flows into the Gulf. Both are treasures.

Artfuldodger

That would be the one that runs through the edge of Damascus and Colquitt then runs into Lake Seminole. The other Spring Creek is in the Panhandle and flows into the Gulf. Both are treasures.
The one in Georgia, I see people put in at Brinson bridge on 84 and paddle to Smith's Landing. Still a nice section I reckon ,past a blue hole or two.
I guess the section that closed is up by Damascus?