McQueens Inlet

hntr2k

Not a chance in my ride...

There's no way my boat's getting in there. Well, maybe in a tsunami surge. But it ain't comin back out. I'll hang out with tcb294 thank you.

LOL

Robert 31320

There's no way my boat's getting in there. Well, maybe in a tsunami surge. But it ain't comin back out. I'll hang out with tcb294 thank you.

LOL

I do believe he is IN there looking out. If you stop before you are IN the breakers you can see right where to go. It is a narrow opening though. Like Paul said, you gotta be willing to ride the ROLLERS.

capt stan

Which way out? This is were I sit watching people try to get out.

0928_hp_014.jpg

Why you setting on my hole man......:hammers::hammers::bounce:

capt stan

It's not so bad really it just changes every time the wind blows.... As long as ya have 1/2 tide or better ya can get in and out. Under that I don't mess with it in my boat. Biggest thing is reading the breakers... if ya cant read them and have a good understanding of the tide stage for that area........don't play there.

Now cabaretta inlet.........thats a tricky one........

hntr2k

Why you setting on my hole man......:hammers::hammers::bounce:

:huh: Who? Me? :biggrin2:

Oooooh, you were talking to tcb294...aha...yes well, eerrr, maybe I won't be hanging out with him Right There exactly...

Bryannecker

Options for communications and safety at McQueens

Was in McQueens last weekend with a guide. At some point I would like to get back to the area. Aside from the risks of entry to the area I am concerned with communication. Would a handheld 5W VHF communicate thru the island back to St Cats Sea Tow (or anyone else for that matter) for help. I know ranges for the handhelds are fairly good, but can this thing communicate back thru the island?

The range of a handheld VHF is about two miles line of sight. So, the higher you are the better. You could climb a tree to get extra range, or hoof it to the houses on the other side of the island. Over the past forty plus years, I know of several boats lost in the surf there and at "Bird Island, so prudence is the key word for this area. Shoaling is a constant problem. Get a 25 watt Vhf with an eight foot antenna and mount it as high as possible. Or invest in a "Spot" or other rescue beacon.

Finally, be advised that the owners of the island do patrol the beach from time to time and will help in case of a casualty.
Semper Fi
Check out: www.saltwaternecker.com for stories of that area.

Capt. Jimmy:flag: