Me vs jug lines

ringorock

I met a guy out on Toona few days ago who came out to collect his jug lines, and he brought in a couple nice sized blues and channels.

I decided to set some fixed lines over the laat two nights, but my line keeps breaking. Last night was 50 lb line. It could be a gar that I was sparring with last night, but whoever took the bait didn't just snao the line but stretched it pretty good.

What should I be using for line? I have one night left here, and I'm tired of this thing beating me. 0-2 needs to be 1-2 at least.

Braided line? Braided steel line? Rope?

LittleDrummerBoy

I do a lot of jugging. Last year I ran 65 lb power pro. This year I switched to 50 lb mono, because I was bringing a lot of guests and the power pro can cut some people's hands if they don't have thick skin. We had one really big gar bite through the 50 lb mono (we saw it). I don't mind losing the occasional fish not to be cutting guest's hands.

But if I was losing many fish and thought I'd be running the lines myself, I'd probably go to 100 lb power pro. Sure I might still lose some gar. But the only catfish I'd lose would be the ones that come unhooked or get snagged deep.

ringorock

I do a lot of jugging. Last year I ran 65 lb power pro. This year I switched to 50 lb mono, because I was bringing a lot of guests and the power pro can cut some people's hands if they don't have thick skin. We had one really big gar bite through the 50 lb mono (we saw it). I don't mind losing the occasional fish not to be cutting guest's hands.

But if I was losing many fish and thought I'd be running the lines myself, I'd probably go to 100 lb power pro. Sure I might still lose some gar. But the only catfish I'd lose would be the ones that come unhooked or get snagged deep.

Thanks. I don't have enough experience to really try and guess what's taking it. I'll run out and get better line and see. Will report.

the Lackster

Thanks. I don't have enough experience to really try and guess what's taking it. I'll run out and get better line and see. Will report.
60 lb trilene big game for me, i run a few jugs and have caught a few cats over the years. Only had gar break me off so far. Good luck.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Trotline cord, mason twine, or some such. If I use actual fishing line for jugs or limb lines, it’s something like 150 lb. test saltwater braid. Catfish aren’t line shy at all.

ringorock

Trotline cord, mason twine, or some such. If I use actual fishing line for jugs or limb lines, it’s something like 150 lb. test saltwater braid. Catfish aren’t line shy at all.
I ended up going with what Academy had out here. 80 lb braided with a steel lead. Cross my fingers.

ringorock

Well, all the lines held up overnight but nothing got hooked. Maybe the turtles decided to have a 4th of July buffet on me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Trotline cord. And circle hooks.
Yep. Definitely. Haven’t put a J-hook on a jug or limb line in nearly 20 years.