Meat Rabbits

ssramage

When I was a kid we had a steer named Gus on our dairy farm. My brother and I would take turns, one riding, the other leading Gus around the field. My folks thought we'd be mortified when it was butcher time.

Instead we would enthusiastically ask "we eating Gus-burgers tonight??"

I've raised my kids similarly except so far with fowl and have recently purchased our first bull/bred cow pair. Hoping for a bull calf to castrate and butcher.

My grandad raised cattle when I was young. He died when I was only 5 but I can remember bottle feeding calves and being there for a processing day. It never bothered me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My grandad raised cattle when I was young. He died when I was only 5 but I can remember bottle feeding calves and being there for a processing day. It never bothered me.
Same here. Killing a hog or steer that I raised all year never bothered me. It's just tame bunnies that get me. :)

deermaster13

The Flemish giants are good producers. We had them for 30 years until Dads health started going down hill. At 8weeks they dressed out at 5 lbs. Rabbit liver deep fried is surprisingly delicious and not strong at all. One buck and three does would be a good start and provide alot of protein for a family. We did use our hand to butcher them just be careful as the shoulders will bruise easily. Georgia farmers market maybe a good source to see what's for sale.

Buddrow

You can name them just name them after food or dinner, lunch, BBQ. Meet a few pigs named bacon or ham in my time. Question for those that raise meat rabbits. Do they taste as good as wild?