Meat Shed notice re processing pigs

fredw

Retired Moderator
I know several folks here use The Meat Shed for processing of wild pigs.

This was posted on their Facebook page this afternoon.IMG-3221.PNG

Hillbilly stalker

I hate that for anybody. People take note and wear latex gloves ! Everything I’ve read say the reproductive parts is the most likely place to contact Brucellosis. Wear gloves.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve cleaned a lot with no gloves but as I’ve gotten older and wiser I always wear gloves ! Just curious can’t u still get these diseases just from the meat on ice ?

Kev

Hope Drew is good. Pigs are nasty creatures. My uncle got this from eating undercooked pork.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Eatonton Georgia

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
My brother knows/uses them. He had got the heads up before last weekend. We took one to them last Sunday. I always quarter the hogs we kill anyhow. Like Antharper, I’ve butchered a bunch without gloves. Not any more.

combatcomm

I'm sorry your having issues. I usually side with the small business man but to me it is a risk you need to take if you want to be in that businesses. It is an occupational hazard that you should be able to control. Makes me suspect their cleanliness. Sorry.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry your having issues. I usually side with the small business man but to me it is a risk you need to take if you want to be in that businesses. It is an occupational hazard that you should be able to control. Makes me suspect their cleanliness. Sorry.

Huh??? Cleanliness???
The man is sick.

Todd E

Personally, I drive 2 hours round trip just to use TMS for deer and previous pigs. Worth my time and my money to only use them. The quality of speciality meats cannot be beat. The cleanliness is well above par. We all take risks messing with hogs. I've been gutting and skinning them for almost 30 years. Never covered my face. Never worn gloves until about the last year. So, I have risked contracting brucellosis.

A man getting it, going through treatment, and listening to a doc say no more pigs......has no reflection on cleanliness. Just means choosing health for he and crew over income.

Tunaman

BANNED
Kind of what I was thinking. I’ve cleaned a bunch without gloves but no more. Also I was always home within 15 mins after cleaning one and washed my hands real good with anti-bacterial soap. More careful now, I will wear gloves and carry anti- bacterial soap and water with me.

combatcomm

Dumbest post of the year
I believe this was directed towards my post.

I stand by it. His business is processing animals. It this area this is mainly two, deer and hogs. Now he has cut off 25% of his business. Everything I have read says it is safe to process if you take the proper precautions. A professional should be able to easily follow like the other processors that never caught the illness. He caught it something was done wrong.

To me this is like a landscaper saying he is only going to cut grass because using a Weed Wacker is to dangerous. Then find a new profession.

combatcomm

Huh??? Cleanliness???
The man is sick.
He is sick because he didn't take the proper precautions. He is suppose to be a professional.

I am sorry he is sick but it was very easy avoidable. Shortcuts were taken.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I clean all game with gloves.

I like to keep my hands clean in the field and the disease protection is an added bonus. I always quarter everything up and put it in a cooler before it goes in the truck.

I process it at home and don't let the dogs near anything. Then the entire area gets cleaned with bleach.

I'm paranoid like that.