Men’s Conference Drama

brutally honest

:huh:

I’ve never been to a conference like this. Apparently, it featured lots of “macho” stuff, including monster trucks, a boxing match, and some kind of motorcycle jump.

Thoughts?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
When good is called evil and evil, good. Fella wears his feelings on his sleeves if he’s offended that easily over an observation.

My personal thoughts, I don’t blame the guy - I’d happily walked off when they said I was done, too.

gordon 2

When mama ain't happy, no one is happy. :)

Do you pay for one of these things and is country music on the card as something macho women like. ???

When's the next one like this? It would make good film for a documentary.

The words "Jessybell spirit" gives the chills of aversion to the audience perhaps. I suppose? it reeks of a controlling spirit not only in the folk it is leveled at, but also in the mouth leveling it.

Maybe a good communicator would give the spirit a different name to get his point across.

Maybe, just maybe when you use scripture as your motivation for being a Christian and call your understanding of it the Holy Spirit... fellowship gets itself undone. Pole dancers calling pole dancers cheap...sure don't seem Christlike to me.... by hey... what great film!

Last edited:

stringmusic

I would have been highly uncomfortable if I went to a Christian men’s conference and then some dude took his shirt off and started twirling around on a pole.

brutally honest

gordon 2

More here:

The “pole guy” speaks!

Absent a genuine revival, that of the good fight, the revivalist spirits fight amongst themselves I suppose.

Spirits are not always what they appear to be, some of them have a significant history. When someone gets booted of a conference stage it might be more about something other than what is going on on stage or in the audience.

So in the spirit of your post, ( though I'm never 100% sure what it is) I will add this link, just in case some might what to know the depth of the fusses behind the plain fussing of folk who like the stage and so some for being on it and some for the entertainment from it.

PS. Is your motivational spirit for this post and usually others, is it as entertainment news media is for movie, TV and Social Media star events, like naked red carpet walks, artists with social causes, award galas with people from the audience getting up to slap the presenters because they can't take a joke on the present meds they're on, the dysfunctional or excessive side of money and fame and...everything else that might be entertaining to those who like gossip, no wait who are possessed of a need for the spirit of gossip. Serious.

Last edited:

gordon 2

My motivation is twofold:

1) To solicit responses to a viral Christian news story.

2) To break up the monotony of the daily C&P threads.
It is very interesting how we are all called to some interest in the ministry in some fashion or the other.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Not once, ever, have I felt the urge to go to these men's christian conferences. I've never been one for theatrics in church and I've always felt that the men that put these on aren't living in the same world that I'm living in.
I've never understood the need of these "ministers" to act and speak so dramatically instead of just simply as Christ instructed and did himself. It makes me tune out completely because I didn't come to church or a conference to be entertained.

In truth, I find it hard to listen to almost any of these men who we see nowadays. I'm turned off by all of them. I don't want the Joel Osteen's lying to me and brown nosing me about how God wants me to be rich and to never have anything bad happen to me in an effort to just get in my wallet or the Paul Washer's talking down to me about how I'm doing everything wrong, wrong, wrong, all the time and that God hates what I'm doing every single day of my life. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that if I see a minister on TV or YouTube or hear them on radio, I begin to doubt them.

As I get older, I find more often that other Christian men are the better source of advice and inspiration instead of ministers of churches who seem to quickly lose touch with what we deal with every day.

gordon 2

Not once, ever, have I felt the urge to go to these men's christian conferences. I've never been one for theatrics in church and I've always felt that the men that put these on aren't living in the same world that I'm living in.
I've never understood the need of these "ministers" to act and speak so dramatically instead of just simply as Christ instructed and did himself. It makes me tune out completely because I didn't come to church or a conference to be entertained.

In truth, I find it hard to listen to almost any of these men who we see nowadays. I'm turned off by all of them. I don't want the Joel Osteen's lying to me and brown nosing me about how God wants me to be rich and to never have anything bad happen to me in an effort to just get in my wallet or the Paul Washer's talking down to me about how I'm doing everything wrong, wrong, wrong, all the time and that God hates what I'm doing every single day of my life. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that if I see a minister on TV or YouTube or hear them on radio, I begin to doubt them.

As I get older, I find more often that other Christian men are the better source of advice and inspiration instead of ministers of churches who seem to quickly lose touch with what we deal with every day.
I really don't think these ministries want to be entertaining. I think they are wanting to "feed the lost sheep". They are in a way like Paul. They are Romans in Rome, Judean in Juda, Greek with the Greeks, Christian with the Christians,etc... The only difference with the ministers and Paul is that the ministers are fed from the bible and Paul by God. The ministers go far on a rabbit trail, Paul on The Way. Paul's road map is not the bible. And his discernment is not exclusively from " the bible says".

So good intentioned, but the shows have a limited run time and then things fall apart and no one wants to tithe anymore. And then the Revivalist will ramp up their ministries again and the whole thing will start all over again. The more it changes the more it is the same.

It is interesting to see how bible college and self appointed ministers and their exorcisms are seen as "not Christ" by their layman fellowship after awhile...

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I really don't think these ministries want to be entertaining. I think they are wanting to "feed the lost sheep". They are in a way like Paul. They are Romans in Rome, Judean in Juda, Greek with the Greeks, Christian with the Christians,etc... The only difference with the ministers and Paul is that the ministers are fed from the bible and Paul by God. The ministers go far on a rabbit trail, Paul on The Way. Paul's road map is not the bible. And his discernment is not exclusively from " the bible says".

So good intentioned, but the shows have a limited run time and then things fall apart and no one wants to tithe anymore. And then the Revivalist will ramp up their ministries again and the whole thing will start all over again. The more it changes the more it is the same.

It is interesting to see how bible college and self appointed ministers and their exorcisms are seen as "not Christ" by their layman fellowship after awhile...
Gordon, I think some really do and I don't mean the ridiculous extreme like you see on YouTube but just weekly Sunday sermons and services. I don't know if the preaching style we're seeing so much these days is taught or just something that all the preachers are imitating but it really just turns me off.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

I’ve been to tons of men’s conferences……..nothing even close to the “entertainment” shown here.

Basically - a larger church service aimed at men.

gordon 2

I’ve been to tons of men’s conferences……..nothing even close to the “entertainment” shown here.

Basically - a larger church service aimed at men.
What kind of demographic age wise mostly go to these men's conferences? Are they aimed to specific age groups?

gordon 2

So. Obviously someone has assessed that men were not men anymore or there was a significant risk today that more men are prone to quit the church than is usual and hopefully getting them together in large numbers with the idea of boosting their self worth might be favorable that men keep with the religious culture of their parents?

I know that women traditionally have had their own thing going on in many church assemblies. Are men simply envious? And so wanting their own "male" thing? I'm serious, where does the need come from that males need to be parented other than by their families to be men?

And Original Rooster, what is a biblical man? And traditionally how was a man to be a "biblical man"? The traditional ways don't work anymore?

In a culture of free individuals, spirit testers via the bible, men's conferences serve to glue the individual to a group via some biblical exegesis of what a man is? or what a man should be?

What do the conferences come out of? When did they first come out? How have they progressed to what they are today? And why did they come out and why are they still important as a ministry to men?

I know. Lots of questions. Do the conferences really have as their goal to make a biblical man, an adult made to be in conformity to what the bible says a man should be?

And Spotlite what does a 13 yr old get out of a men's conference?

According to Aristotle, a man is made by age 7. “Give me the child until he is seven, and I will give you the man.”

Last edited: