Metal Building Home?

Lilly001

I've read condensation / mold can be an issue much more so than stick built??? I'm looking into them right now. Who besides Morton is reputable. Looking to build in KY.
I went with a local company for the steel and erecting.
The materials were just as good and they were familiar with local building practices. I also saved $ by paying cash for things like the slab, the land clearing, the drywall, and the flooring .
I found paying cash to the local subs (I was my own contractor) was well received.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I found paying cash to the local subs (I was my own contractor) was well received.

That's because that money never made it to a tax return.:bounce:

Triple C

I've read condensation / mold can be an issue much more so than stick built??? I'm looking into them right now. Who besides Morton is reputable. Looking to build in KY.
Tom - Check out National Barn Company out of Portland, TN. They have a good website with a nice picture gallery. I found them to be good people to deal with back in 2011 and 2012. They build pole barns, not metal buildings. You can choose any wall surface you like and you can go as high end as you like. You are responsible to have the site graded level and they ship the material and send a crew down to erect the building in a matter of a couple or 3 days.

Once erected, you take it from there...lay out plumbing, pour slab and then build out the inside. Like I said, I have somewhere between $60 and $70K in mine but I've got a buddy that prolly exceeded $200K in a similar build but finished very high end. Looks like a rustic lodge with wood siding and high end interior.

Took this pic last Saturday. It's perfect for a hunting type lodge and as stated earlier, not a single issue since building.
Cabin 20200124.jpg

TomC

Thanks SO MUCH. I'll check them out. Closing on property in western KY Thursday and trying to figure out what I want to build. May be living in a 5th Wheel for a while until I can figure it out. That should be interesting :)

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Those metal houses are awesome if I was gonna build one that is what I would do!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
There a couple were built up In heard county just north of troup county line I always liked. Not huge but plenty big enough.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I built one.
30x40 w/10' ceilings.
About 25k for the basic building and another 25k to finish.
Still not done, but getting close.
How loud is the roof when it rains? Serious question

lonewolf247

You might want to join the "Barndominium Living" closed group on Facebook. They have a lot of good info there. This is one of my plans for the future when I retire. I'd love to have a home/shop all in one, on a piece of property.

Lilly001

How loud is the roof when it rains? Serious question
I had the roof insulated when built. It's a blanket type and about 4" thick.
I plan on installing a ceiling with insulation above as I finish the building.
For now you can hear rain, even light rain, but it's not objectionable such that it would wake you.
I think after the ceiling is installed it will be much less.
I also went with a low pitch roof as snow is not a problem here. A higher pitch would lessen the rain noise also, so I'm told.

Sweet talker

My in Laws own a company and build them. They've been building a couple of them. A lot of people are going towards these. They spray foamed in ceiling and also some interior walls and they have had to turn the heat on yet this year. Very nice homes, they don't require as much stuff either like a regular house.

Sweet talker

It all depends on if you have a vapor barrier on the metal, If you don't then it will sweat and will cause those issues.

TomC

Yes I've read that insulating the you know what out of them and the vapor barrier is KEY to avoid mold issues. I've been looking ALL OVER KY for property since last spring and you see LOTS of metal / pole barn homes up there but not so much down this way. I was talking to a guy a few months ago that was having Morton put up a shell here in GA and he was finishing it off to save $. Said he had to go through more hassles getting a mortgage because these types of homes are less common. Not saying this is the always the case just what he said.

Core Lokt

My in Laws own a company and build them. They've been building a couple of them. A lot of people are going towards these. They spray foamed in ceiling and also some interior walls and they have had to turn the heat on yet this year. Very nice homes, they don't require as much stuff either like a regular house.

That Icynene spray foam is the BOMB!! I built a house last Feb and have that sprayed in all exterior walls and the underside of the roof. That's it and my electric bill runs around $45 in the winter and about $110 in the summer. It has to really flood for us to hear it raining. Attic temp is about 2-3* higher than inside temp in my house in the summer.

Regardless of what y'all build I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Thanks SO MUCH. I'll check them out. Closing on property in western KY Thursday and trying to figure out what I want to build. May be living in a 5th Wheel for a while until I can figure it out. That should be interesting :)
congrats and be sure and buy the optional Owners title insurance policy, a 1 time premium that protects your equity interest forever.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Not hunting related but was curious if any of you live in a metal building home (Not the shipping container type!!)... My husband and I are in the planning time frame for moving up to GA and are considering this style home on a piece of hunting land for more affordability.. If you do, what would you say are the pros and cons? What's a realistic number for maybe a 3-4 bedroom size metal home with pipes and electric? Any information is appreciated!

I'm currently finishing up a 650 square foot home 'inside' a 30 by 60 metal, open span building. The building itself is insulated. I love it so far. It's all been fairly easy to do so far and I'm not a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. The thing I like best is to hear the rain on the metal roof and the fact that my building temp seems to stabilize at about 55 degrees no mater how cold it gets outside. That's the internal building temp, not the internal house temp, but as for now this year, the heating costs is essentially nil. Come summer that all may change, but I'm installing a blower before then to evacuate the hot air near the roof line and keep cooler air in the building itself, which SHOULD help with cooling. I have outside the building graded with gravel and there's no grass to cut and no mud to track in. It has 2 garage doors so I can also pull 2 vehicles inside and I have access from the garage into the house. I can post pics of the progress if you like.

Lilly001

I'm currently finishing up a 650 square foot home 'inside' a 30 by 60 metal, open span building. The building itself is insulated. I love it so far. It's all been fairly easy to do so far and I'm not a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. The thing I like best is to hear the rain on the metal roof and the fact that my building temp seems to stabilize at about 55 degrees no mater how cold it gets outside. That's the internal building temp, not the internal house temp, but as for now this year, the heating costs is essentially nil. Come summer that all may change, but I'm installing a blower before then to evacuate the hot air near the roof line and keep cooler air in the building itself, which SHOULD help with cooling. I have outside the building graded with gravel and there's no grass to cut and no mud to track in. It has 2 garage doors so I can also pull 2 vehicles inside and I have access from the garage into the house. I can post pics of the progress if you like.
"worthless:

Triple C

SFD - I've got about 1000sq ft of my building in living quarters and cool the entire area with one window unit in the den area. 2 bedroom/1 bath with a sleeping loft above the bedrooms. Used scissor trusses for vaulted ceiling in den/kitchen area. Mid August when the night time temps don't drop much below 80 degrees that window unit will run 24/7. I was pleasantly surprised that we didn't need to add an additional window unit to one of the bedrooms. Insulation is key. We had ours wrapped in tri-foil insulation at the time it was erected and then foam insulation in the walls when we finished in a similar fashion to you.

And like Lilly said...post pics!

Sweet talker

That Icynene spray foam is the BOMB!! I built a house last Feb and have that sprayed in all exterior walls and the underside of the roof. That's it and my electric bill runs around $45 in the winter and about $110 in the summer. It has to really flood for us to hear it raining. Attic temp is about 2-3* higher than inside temp in my house in the summer.

Regardless of what y'all build I highly recommend it.
I say the same thing, Its unreal how good it works.

uturn

More pictures if you all don’t mind?

I’m a GC here in Florida and currently have 2 homes under construction myself.

I’ve located and are finalizing the purchase of 10 virgin acres bordering state forest land.

Battling what to build...It will become our home for the next 10 years if not the last! As a carpenter by trade I’m really interested in a pole barn home for my wife and I.

As I mentioned prior in the thread I’ve built quite a few homes, metal buildings and a handful of pole barns as well.

Feeling pretty stoked and looking for some more feed back myself...not to high jack the OP but, following intently!!

Thanks