Middle GA WMA Hog Tips? (Oaky Woods, Ocmulgee, Bond Swamp, etc.)

pdroogmans

I hope the season is going well for all this year! I've tried to find private property to hunt some bacon on, but I have had no luck so far. Kinda shocked haha, I was even offering to pay money. Its like people around here actually want them on their properties...
Anyways, my other option is to chase them around on the public land options here near Macon. (Oaky Woods, Ocmulgee, Bond Swamp, etc.) I've done some scouting on each of the public lands; however, I have yet to actually lay eyes on some pigs out there. I understand the basics such as keeping the wind in your face, finding thick cover, and finding the food but beyond that I'm lost.
Ive already messaged a few guys that have been very helpful and knowledgeable about pigs on these WMAs but it got me thinking that there are probably quite a few of you out here that could point me in the right direction to get on my first public pig if you're willing to help.
I know a lot of people are particular about sharing their information to everyone on the forum so if you could just comment let me know if you have good, recent information on pigs on any of these public lands, I will privately reach out to you because my goal is not to blow out these places with hot tips for all of the world to abuse.
I understand there is no replacement for getting out and putting boots on the ground for information; however, I've found that if I can gain as much information before I really start to go after something in an area, I'm more likely to be successful. Thanks again for all that are willing to help and good luck this season!

dfurdennis

Beaver dam is an awesome hog spot anywhere along the river or the horseshoe have produced well for me over the years.... also thru the intersection leading from the check station go straight through that intersection to the dead end and the entire left side of that road is great for stalking....Good luck I hope u can get on em.

chrislibby88

Ocmulgee and Oaky are loaded. I usually get down on the creeks. Look for areas where the hardwood creek bottoms border mature pines, fresh clear cuts, etc. they are like deer and prefer lots of habitat diversity in a small area. They also tend to stick close to water. For me it’s easy to them when it’s dry like now. Pigs are poor thermoregulators, and need to feed heavy when it’s cold, and wallow when it’s hot. Wallowing also helps keep bugs and parasites down. They wallow year round, so if you find a good active wallow you can always hang around it and wait for them.

CroMagnum

Ocmulgee and Oaky are loaded. I usually get down on the creeks. Look for areas where the hardwood creek bottoms border mature pines, fresh clear cuts, etc. they are like deer and prefer lots of habitat diversity in a small area. They also tend to stick close to water. For me it’s easy to them when it’s dry like now. Pigs are poor thermoregulators, and need to feed heavy when it’s cold, and wallow when it’s hot. Wallowing also helps keep bugs and parasites down. They wallow year round, so if you find a good active wallow you can always hang around it and wait for them.
What are you hunting them with? I'm torn between my 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrell shooting 00 Buck and my 6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch barrell shooting 123 grain Hornady Black

chrislibby88

What are you hunting them with? I'm torn between my 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrell shooting 00 Buck and my 6.5 Grendel with a 20 inch barrell shooting 123 grain Hornady Black
I usually chase them in small game season with a 22 mag, but switch over to my centerfires once furbearer season comes in. I have shot many with 223, 62gr federal fusions, they work well. I’ve got a 6.8 AR that I will be carrying this year, haven’t got one with it yet though.
I shot a large boat a few years ago with buckshot, he was about 15 yards, quartered away pretty hard. Followed blood and tracks for about 200 yards through the swamp until I lost his track. I never recovered him. Those 00 pellets aren’t gonna penetrate as well as a rifle, so make sure you go for head/neck with the shotgun on larger pigs.

Professor

Remember that WMA regulations differ and that there is no flexibility. The gun, caliber, gauge, are limited to the regulations regarding the game species in season. This sometimes differs per WMA. Right now it is deer season, so check to see what the regulations regarding firearms for hunting deer are in each WMA. Some will not allow shotguns. If it is a small game hunt, you can not use a centerfire rifle. You must use a shotgun or 22, and sometimes a 22 magnum is not allowed. There will also be regulations concerning shot size. Some of the WMAs have a furbearer season and I believe you can use a centerfire rifle during those hunts.

CroMagnum

I usually chase them in small game season with a 22 mag, but switch over to my centerfires once furbearer season comes in. I have shot many with 223, 62gr federal fusions, they work well. I’ve got a 6.8 AR that I will be carrying this year, haven’t got one with it yet though.
I shot a large boat a few years ago with buckshot, he was about 15 yards, quartered away pretty hard. Followed blood and tracks for about 200 yards through the swamp until I lost his track. I never recovered him. Those 00 pellets aren’t gonna penetrate as well as a rifle, so make sure you go for head/neck with the shotgun on larger pigs.
Yep. Looks like I'll stick to centerfire during deer season. Not sure I want to take one on with my .22LR though unless I stick to a smaller piglet.

Professor

WOW, at 15 yards you would think it would have blown a softball-sized hole right through him.

chrislibby88

WOW, at 15 yards you would think it would have blown a softball-sized hole right through him.
You know what, he wasn’t at 15 yards. The pig was originally bedded in some swamp grass, and we saw him at 15 yards, as we were deciding where to shoot he got up, and started running away from us, which is why he was quartering away. So the shot was probably more like 30-40+ yards. This was two years ago, on Riverbend WMA, so pardon my memory.

Edit: it’s also an 18 inch 870 with a fixed improved cylinder, so the pattern opens up fairly quick

Last edited:

Dbender

Yep. Looks like I'll stick to centerfire during deer season. Not sure I want to take one on with my .22LR though unless I stick to a smaller piglet.
You can't use centerfire on wma unless an active deer hunt is open, or on some if furbearer season is in. 22 is deadly for its effective range. Hogs aren't wild attack machines some lead you to believe. Remember there are other hunters pursuing small game when deer season is out.

CroMagnum

You can't use centerfire on wma unless an active deer hunt is open, or on some if furbearer season is in. 22 is deadly for its effective range. Hogs aren't wild attack machines some lead you to believe. Remember there are other hunters pursuing small game when deer season is out.
I'm aware of the centerfire regs. Actually, I'm one of those pursuing small game during deer season on the WMAs as well. I haven't included deer in my hunting schedule yet because I'm not a fan of venison and I only hunt what I'll eat. I've heard of guys taking hogs with .22LR but I'd guess that is under ideal conditions where that animal is in a clearing. Are you saying they can be taken with a .22 in moderate brush as well?

Dbender

Yes, no problem. Bullets regardless of caliber are not designed to shoot through vegetation. A 22 is deadly. I would recommend a solid point bullet though. As long as the wind is right, hogs aren't too hard to slip up on.

CroMagnum

Hmmm. Good info. I'll "give it a shot", pun intended but if I only **** the hog off and get attacked I will curse you from my hospital bed...lol

sportsman94

I believe after deer season centerfire rifles are legal since it is legal to hunt fox and bobcats with those calibers depending on WMA.