I certainly don’t know that one….

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I couldn’t remember if Merrill was a Marine. facepalm:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Some trivia about Air Force tradition. I flew with two recipients.

Honor guard members carrying a sword for an Order of the Sword ceremony.

The Order of the Sword is an honor awarded within the United States Air Force. It is a special program where noncommisioned officers of a command recognize individuals they hold in high esteem and wish to honor. Those selected for induction are usually honored during a formal ceremony at a dining-in (black tie)The honor can be awarded at the unit level or (more rarely) at the Air Force level.

The U.S. Army and Marine Corps lack such an honor bestowed by the enlisted corps upon the officer corps. The U.S. Navy has the title of "Honorary Chief Petty Officer."

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Oh my gosh. I think it was 1972 or 3 but I'll never get that one by name.
You got your mind right. There was a period of time in the early 70's where several showed up. The last was Teruo Nakamura who was of Taiwanese Ami ancestry and not Japanese at all but was part of the Takasago volunteer unit from Taiwan. He surrendered on Morotai on December 18th, 1974.
The most famous holdout was probably Hiro Onoda who also surrendered in 1974 after his former commanding officer came to the jungle where he was hiding in the Philippines and formerly ordered him to surrender.

Resica

You got your mind right. There was a period of time in the early 70's where several showed up. The last was Teruo Nakamura who was of Taiwanese Ami ancestry and not Japanese at all but was part of the Takasago volunteer unit from Taiwan. He surrendered on Morotai on December 18th, 1974.
The most famous holdout was probably Hiro Onoda who also surrendered in 1974 after his former commanding officer came to the jungle where he was hiding in the Philippines and formerly ordered him to surrender.
I remember the last guy, crazy. Some dedication I'll say.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Who was the only US Navy pilot in WW2 to hit and help sink 2 Jap carriers in one battle?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I think Best hit the two carriers and Kleiss hit three ships the same day.